The official Titan crowdfunding campaign thread

So for the mri you “must” remove it… a small incision and then bringing another (bigger) magnet close ideally wrapped in a sterile glove or something similar.

As for the other 2 questions people have already answered them :slight_smile:

I might be wrong, but I read somewhere (here^^) that it is also possible to do some “shielding” around the hand to prevent the magnet from being ripped out - similar to what they do with people who have other metal parts in their bodies.
At least for magnets in the hand, this should be relatively possible, or not?

I honestly wouldn’t risk it, the mri is very likely to damage the magnet in terms of seriously diminishing its magnetic field.

Also, the titan can be reinstalled later.

Speaking of MRI

IMG-7e70d02883b41e9e49c45cb69868012c-V

7 Likes

I’m not sure if I even want one yet. Right now I’m still thinking about it, but I’m not sure how much of an impact on daily life having a magnetic body part would be. I’d probably stick it in my finger.

To everyone else, thanks for answering my questions.

I have also heard this, however, I have never actually come across anything in my experience which would shield a “ferrous” or magnetically saturable object from an MRI. There do appear to be “shields” of a sort, but they seem to be only to help avoid potential heating issues from eddy currents in non-ferrous materials like titanium or surgical steel implants (joint replacements for example).

Unlike an x-ray which is a beam of radiation which can be blocked with a simple blanket or single 2D plane of sufficiently thick lead laid perpendicularly and in opposition to that beam, an MRI creates a giant spherical 3D “bubble” which is physically impossible to shield against unless you had a material that could completely encapsulate the object to be shielded, and then counter the magnetic field with equal and opposite charge.

In short, I don’t think its physically possible to actually shield against a magnetic field inside an MRI.

2 Likes

They use mu metal plates to preferentially direct the magnetic field around ferrous foreign bodies like shrapnel

1 Like

Wouldn’t the concept be similar to how a hard drive case is designed to redirect the flux lines of a magnet thru the case and around / away from the disks?

Problem I think is as you make the field stronger it’s harder to redirect the flux lines

And an mri is fairly intense lol

Yep, I asked about it at the relevant place, and was told not to worry.
If I need an MRI I’ll be getting the MRI.
It doesn’t change the fact that:

A lot.

I would trade any of my body mods to keep my magnet(s).

@Ikea Fels like you are getting ready for a "rite of passage". I fully support that. Body mod is a great way. Really is!

You are likely to get a chip to tap into, then you might be attracted to a magnet.
I would not worry if I were you. You read a lot, did research.
If the mind is ready the body accepts the mod easily n heals well.

You will know when you ready.

1 Like

I think you’ve actually convinced me somehow, now I gotta start saving. And find someone to do it. But first I gotta get my other implants put in.

Anyone know if the Titan would be affected in any way by being close to an induction heating coil? At work we shrink fit a stator into a housing by heating the housing with an induction coil and my hand has to be pretty close to the coil.

It will. But I wouldn’t worry about it.
Generally speaking:
Are you allowed to wear watches around the machine that concerns you?
If yes, the Titan (or any magnet implant) is not for you.
If no, then your new EM buddy will be the device you just referred to. (at least that’s how I made friends with a blender and a microwave)

Generally if induction is to be worried about it melts metal anyways. But perhaps others know better.

1 Like

There is a warning that rings may get warm if they get too close, I wasn’t about to stick my hand in the coil I just didn’t know if it would mess with the magnet’s field.

You will feel the buzz, for sure. How much?

I, myself experienced hyper-sensitivity after getting my 1st magnet, others (majority) reported consistency in their sensation.
Mean: what you feel on day1 is what you’ll feel in general.

You will approach carefully anyways.
If it has enough strength to heat up your magnet you’ll feel buzz strong enough to GTFO.
I check the induction plates by waving above them 1.8kW (I know…yours’ll be different… just to scale).

Look at the bright side:
Having an implant is fun!!
Having a job, and having an implant is even more fun :hugs:
EDIT: :point_up_2:I mean this with all the support I can.

1 Like

Find a smallish rare earth magnet, pinch it between your thumb and index finger, then see what you feel when near the heater.

5 Likes

I know for sure injectable lido is in Poland, buuut… let’s just say that by some mistake I got one from DT and I was fine :smiley:

You didn’t miss the D at the end of “fined” there by any chance, did you? :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, I didn’t xD
But they asked me what was in my package and I told them everything correctly except this, I just replaced it with sth random.

Thought I’d throw this idea out there.

It’s winter in the northern hemisphere, and with that tends to come dry cracked skin. I imagine well hydrated skin would better tolerate and heal the injury sustained in implant installation.

So with that in mind, and figuring we got about a week to a week and a half to go, I’m gonna start moisturizing with Lubriderm to try and counteract the dryness. You might want to too.

3 Likes