Trying to convince my parents abot a magnet implant

Whoa isn’t that the first ever confirmed breakage inside a customer?

Yep of an x-series device… first one. But, it’s kind of a cheat haha… it was directly related to the magnet pulling something directly into the glass cap with force… but yes, it’s confirmed… an x-series has broken inside a customer.

3 Likes

I guess I’m not done with this haha… my point about the magnet being a driving issue is that under normal circumstances an external force impacting the implant site would result in the x-series being pushed away, into tissue… and the force itself being dissipated throughout the tissue… but with a magnet pulling the object directly into it, and pulling itself to the object, nothing is dissipated… in fact it’s concentrated… fundamentally different.

1 Like

Actually this is enough of a concern… we probably won’t make any more xG3 v1 to be honest. If we get any more reports of breakage we’ll prob pull them.

Yeah ofc magnets in glass are extra likely just wanted to confirm this is the first. Would be weird if it never happened haha.

I’ve not seen it happen on my desk nor in a person for the v2 diametric… only the axial because of the pole at the end. I find that bit rather interesting.

2 Likes

Yes, the laser seal theory is also very convincing. I guess some xG3s might have unlucky positioned stresspoints and if you hit it just right it pops.

That should be @mrln’s pronoun

2 Likes

Laser light is absorbed uniformly throughout the glass wall, producing uniform heating and avoiding thermal shock. The laser can also be controlled to produce gradual cooling to avoid any residual stresses. Residual stress can be checked by dipping the glass into oil with a similar refractive index, and passing light through the them under a polarizer. Stress will appear as bright zones, while a stress-free region will be transparent.

GlassTubeSealingStress

It’s very hard to get stress free regions around the edge where the glass has bent over itself to help create the seal;

FYI the shots above are of a stress loaded glass seal, not an ideal seal… but still, those points around the edge are the hardest parts to get stress free, and this is exactly where the glass is snapping off (as you posted);

It’s also why the break is basically perfect.

3 Likes

How old is you dad if magnets weren’t around when he was 20?!?

Sounds like he works in HR. “You need 15 years experience with this new technology before we will hire you…”

3 Likes

Since magnets were discovered in 600 BC i would guess about 2640 years. No, i meant magnet implants not magnets in general.

Magnet implants were first theorized by Steve Haworth in the 1990s. (According to Wikipedia)

If that is true then they could be over 20 years old… I doubt that that will change your dad’s opinion though.

Nah, don’t think so :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have one more question and please tell me, when i get annoying: I have been browsing this forum for a bit and have seen things like L0 or similar. I know that they correlate to the placement, but can anyone explain to me the system behind that?

1 Like

This is the post you are looking for

2 Likes

Aaahh, perfect! Thank you very much!

2 Likes

No kidding, you’ve logged 10 hours of read time so far.

2 Likes

Yes, a bit. that’s why i have so many questions :smiley:

1 Like

Not sure what part of Bayern you are, but I have relatives right in the south …its pretty conservative there, they would flip out if they found about mine - and I live on the other side of the world.

Breaking the problem into smaller parts.
Maybe a wearable is a good way to prove the technology side of things (assuming muggers don’t cut it off and rob you of it) and educate concerned parties, separate of the implanting issue.