Upper Arm Self Install?

Update:

Install went well, healed nicely.
I can read it quite well with my ACR122.
My Note 9 can also read it but it is hard to get the positioning right in such a large area like my arm but I can do it quite reliably.
Minimal luck with the KBR1, It takes about 45 seconds for me to find a sweet spot where as with my NExT and xSIID it reads them easily.

Overall I am happy with the choice to install there but it would be irritating for a tag I use more frequently unless I could use my ACR122 *wink* *wink*

4 Likes

I’m tempted to put my Spark in the same place. I’ve had implants in that location in both arms, and watched the insertion and removal process all three times. Handily I have small scars that show me exactly where to insert! Two implants stated exactly where they were put and were stupidly easy to remove, and the third encapsulated and was a bit tougher to get out (but most of you don’t consider removal so meh).

How was it pain wise? I would say for me it was nose-hair pulling eye wateringly pinchy, and you will hiss. When mine were done I had anaesthetic for removal but not for insertion. It’s a long hollow needle with a plunger so spectacularly similar to DT ones.

How does it read through sleeves of clothes? Don’t want to have to be rolling my sleeve up constantly.

1 Like

Any reason why there and not the hand/wrist/forearm?

Very True. I am considering removing my NExT only because I cannot move it under the skin. It is stuck and across my bone. On the flip side, I have no issue scanning it.

I would imagine as long as you don’t have a thick layer there, it should work. It might depend also on how deep you insert it.

I just folded a towel in half and put it on my hand. The spark and xsiid could be read, just took longer cause I am used to looking to where I will scan.

1 Like

I don’t have any long sleeves but draped a t-shirt over the area. Read fine, tad harder to position as I lost some of my reference points.

Easiest one I have done. Skin is thin compared to the hand slid in like a charm. No hissing involved.

2 Likes

When you aren’t trying to life an inch of it!

I’ve had an xNT removed and documented it

It wasn’t too bad. I would definitely recommend an anesthetic, but it’s not strictly required. Just make sure you don’t pinch a nerve with the forceps while you’re fishing around for the implant, that can be really jarring.

2 Likes

If you damage a nerve pathway you won’t be happy or fully functional. -If- it can regenerate, nerve injuries have some of the longest healing/rehab times.
Those funny little white structures aren’t ha-ha funny at all… be careful and do your homework before you play surgeon if you must insist on doing so.
https://teachmeanatomy.info/upper-limb/nerves/radial-nerve/

Aren’t those nerve bundles embedded deep under and between muscle? If you’ve gone past the fascia, you’ve gone too far. Take a u-turn and call a doctor.

2 Likes

Yeah it should be easy to avoid these critical structures… but learning the hard way sucks.
The worst thing you can possibly nick or sever is a major nerve.
Just saying to study anatomy a bit especially if you never did this before. People’s anatomy layout can vary too so structures aren’t always precisely were they’re shown.

No kidding…

When I was a kid, I almost cut 3 fingers off my hand when it went through an armored glass pane. The surgeons took 7 hours to reattach them, and they came out almost fully functional after 6 months of rehab. Amazingly lucky for the time, as microsurgery wasn’t as advanced as it is today. But I couldn’t feel anything in those fingers anymore.

It was actually quite useful: I could handle hot things without burning myself, and I got used to it. In the workshop for example, I could angle-grind something at full speed, then immediately pick up the part with those fingers. It did smell of burnt flesh every once in a while, but it sure didn’t hurt.

And then out of the blue, 30 years later, one finger started tingling. Then another. Then I started to feel heat again. After 30 years!

I still can’t really feel touch with them, but now I burn myself with amazing regularity. Also, they feel alien to me. Really annoying…

5 Likes

Can you write an autobiography? The amount of stuff you post on here from your childhood and past experiences always has me reaching for the popcorn. It’s very interesting and entertaining. You sure got up to some stuff.

4 Likes

Everybody’s done stuff in the past, haven’t they? I’ve had quite a mundane, but fun-filled childhood. No different from anyone else’s really. It’s just that for some reason, I regularly find parts of it to be relevant to one discussion or other here.

Or maybe I just post too much off-topic stuff :slight_smile:

I have had a lot of mishaps with what I though was a semi normal regularity. One trip to A&E every year or two and a quite a few minor mishaps and adventures. I recently found out that most people I know have only ended up in hospital once if at all :open_mouth:

I can definitely see where @anon2520759 gets this reaction:

1 Like

It was just a 12 x 12 pane of glass with embedded metal wire on a wooden door in my school. The door slammed shut as I was running in the corridor towards the playground, and I instinctively put my hand to stop it. My hand landed on the pane and went through it. It wasn’t action-movie-worthy :slight_smile: But I see what you mean, in retrospect.

Microsurgery - and removing bits of glass in torn flesh - tends to be long. That’s just a boring fact of life.

Try to pick up a hot piece of steel when you don’t have a hand withdrawal reflex. It quickly smells like pork on a barbecue :slight_smile:

1 Like

[q

I won’t push that super power; remember one of the reasons why the Hanson Disease victims progressively lost digits. Not being able to feel when they were damaging them.

They healing powers of the body are amazing… if you got the time.

I’ve been fortunate; got a “hot spot” from a shoulder injury that fully healed but minor nerve impingement from it haunted me for decades.
By simply avoiding behind the neck pull downs I can keep from hitting it. Not a real world motion anyway.
The trick with hot spots is learning the motions or reasons that trigger them and avoiding them and/or increasing ROM/strength. Once they cool off they fade away completely over time.
Sciatica is a very common one the responses well to the goblin squat stretch and latter back squats.

Also popped the ulnar nerve out of its tract in the elbow doing weighted pull ups; eventually it healed.
It was a bugger from many months though.
Nerve racking stuff, lol.

I ordered an Ultron kit and was considering where to put the Spark 2. I was thinking of this area and after reading through this thread I was pretty convinced.

I just thought I would add to the conversation a little after getting it done yesterday. I didn’t self install, I went to a piercer that hadn’t installed in this spot before but felt confident doing it. We sat and he poked and prodded and measured everything out. It ended up going pretty much exactly where the birth control implant would go. He found that it was harder/impossible to tent the skin with my arm on the table so we rolled up some sterile drapes and he propped my elbow. From there he was good to go. He was across from me so he went in the direction of elbow to shoulder.

I think it hurt less than my hand (but we did do this second so I might have been amped up from the first implant or just knew what to expect), it also felt much smoother. It didn’t bleed nearly as much as my hand, and a day later it is looking and feeling fine. The only complaint I has is that my skin seems to hate the bandage. Its also a little weird because unlike my hand, I can’t really feel it (though its obviously still tender so Im not willing to poke or prod very hard).

Left is yesterday right after they were completed and right side is today about 21 hours after.

3 Likes

Engage stalker mode…

Haha I’m wondering if the collage software also marked the exif data with your GPS coordinates… probably not, but one never knows and I’m too lazy to check on my phone :wink:

Congrats on the installs though! I’ve been considering a Spark 2 in a totally random, nearly useless backup location at this point.

2 Likes

Gee, and I thought I was the only weirdo looking for deanonymizing information in people’s attachments…

They’ve been stripped. I already checked :slight_smile:

3 Likes

OMG :joy:. I was pulled over at a random Burger King if you really must know. Kid had to use the bathroom :woman_shrugging:t3: I actually have no idea where I was.

haha thanks. you have been socially engineered. we now know 1) kid. 2) burger king. 3) potty time.