Upper Arm Self Install?

Tis a logo for the QR scanner. You click it to scan oauth linking pages and the like.

Ah ok. Itā€™s just a pretty image. That figures, because its format is completely messed up.

1 Like

Even with swelling etc it is quite easy to read, getting it almost every attempt. Works a charm. Can tell where it is from the scan location but have not prodded it to see if I can feel it. Nothing is visible.

Install was a bit award as I injected down towards the elbow. so had to reach almost across my face to hold the injector. I am now looking at the other 5 implants with injectors much more closely since that was such a breeze.

Full install details

I used a brand new binder clip I left soaking in isopropyl alcohol to pinch up the skin.
Inserted bevel up as I was concerned about the needle wanting to go down given the proximity to the brachial artery.
Once the bevel was fully inserted I removed the clip and continued until the needle was fully in.
I struggled to squeeze the plunger while withdrawing so I withdrew about 25% of the implant length and then slowly depressed the plunger until it looked like the implant had started to exit then I edged it back a few mm at then advancing the plunger the same amount.
Removed the needle, neat little u shaped wound that almost entirely sealed itself flush with just a little blood. Removed my outer glove layer (I had 2 gloves on 1 hand) then used the gauze to apply light pressure for about 30 seconds until I was it was not bleeding and put the teraderm on and applied a pressure bandage from slightly above the entry point down just to keep the area a bit protected etc.

All in all I am pleased with the position, as it turns out holding by arm at a 90 degree bend my arm acts as a perfect guide to place the phone dead on the sweet spot.

Thankā€™s everyone for there input.

EDIT: To be clear I am getting reads through a compression bandage and the swelling :smiley:

3 Likes

The more I think about it the more I am disappointed that there is not a Easter egg in thereā€¦

1 Like

Here you are everytime you need to scan it.tenor (17)

2 Likes

I tried to decode it by hand, because I thought it was a real QR code that linked to some private Vivokey page that you had mangled to be unreadable. But I quickly realized itā€™s almost random garbage. And since I thought you had mangled it, I thought you had made a pretty thorough job :slight_smile: But no, sadly thereā€™s no hidden data to recover: itā€™s just a decoratorā€¦

1 Like

šŸ—¹ get push notifications working
šŸ—¹ get qr codes working
šŸ—¹ get nfc crypto challenges working
ā˜ add Easter eggs

11 Likes

šŸ—¹ get push notifications working
šŸ—¹ get qr codes working
šŸ—¹ get nfc crypto challenges working
šŸ—¹ buy milk
šŸ—¹ plan office Christmas party
šŸ—¹ tell another new forum member that payments arenā€™t possible
šŸ—¹ check the conspiracy thread
šŸ—¹ bang head on table
ā˜ add Easter eggs
ā˜ VivoKey App for iOS

FTFY @amal :wink:

8 Likes

There on the list, thatā€™s all that counts.

I kinda assumed you used a icon library so was more disappointed the creator of that didnā€™t do something.

1 Like

Update:

Install went well, healed nicely.
I can read it quite well with my ACR122.
My Note 9 can also read it but it is hard to get the positioning right in such a large area like my arm but I can do it quite reliably.
Minimal luck with the KBR1, It takes about 45 seconds for me to find a sweet spot where as with my NExT and xSIID it reads them easily.

Overall I am happy with the choice to install there but it would be irritating for a tag I use more frequently unless I could use my ACR122 *wink* *wink*

4 Likes

Iā€™m tempted to put my Spark in the same place. Iā€™ve had implants in that location in both arms, and watched the insertion and removal process all three times. Handily I have small scars that show me exactly where to insert! Two implants stated exactly where they were put and were stupidly easy to remove, and the third encapsulated and was a bit tougher to get out (but most of you donā€™t consider removal so meh).

How was it pain wise? I would say for me it was nose-hair pulling eye wateringly pinchy, and you will hiss. When mine were done I had anaesthetic for removal but not for insertion. Itā€™s a long hollow needle with a plunger so spectacularly similar to DT ones.

How does it read through sleeves of clothes? Donā€™t want to have to be rolling my sleeve up constantly.

1 Like

Any reason why there and not the hand/wrist/forearm?

Very True. I am considering removing my NExT only because I cannot move it under the skin. It is stuck and across my bone. On the flip side, I have no issue scanning it.

I would imagine as long as you donā€™t have a thick layer there, it should work. It might depend also on how deep you insert it.

I just folded a towel in half and put it on my hand. The spark and xsiid could be read, just took longer cause I am used to looking to where I will scan.

1 Like

I donā€™t have any long sleeves but draped a t-shirt over the area. Read fine, tad harder to position as I lost some of my reference points.

Easiest one I have done. Skin is thin compared to the hand slid in like a charm. No hissing involved.

2 Likes

When you arenā€™t trying to life an inch of it!

Iā€™ve had an xNT removed and documented it

It wasnā€™t too bad. I would definitely recommend an anesthetic, but itā€™s not strictly required. Just make sure you donā€™t pinch a nerve with the forceps while youā€™re fishing around for the implant, that can be really jarring.

2 Likes

If you damage a nerve pathway you wonā€™t be happy or fully functional. -If- it can regenerate, nerve injuries have some of the longest healing/rehab times.
Those funny little white structures arenā€™t ha-ha funny at allā€¦ be careful and do your homework before you play surgeon if you must insist on doing so.
https://teachmeanatomy.info/upper-limb/nerves/radial-nerve/

Arenā€™t those nerve bundles embedded deep under and between muscle? If youā€™ve gone past the fascia, youā€™ve gone too far. Take a u-turn and call a doctor.

2 Likes

Yeah it should be easy to avoid these critical structuresā€¦ but learning the hard way sucks.
The worst thing you can possibly nick or sever is a major nerve.
Just saying to study anatomy a bit especially if you never did this before. Peopleā€™s anatomy layout can vary too so structures arenā€™t always precisely were theyā€™re shown.

No kiddingā€¦

When I was a kid, I almost cut 3 fingers off my hand when it went through an armored glass pane. The surgeons took 7 hours to reattach them, and they came out almost fully functional after 6 months of rehab. Amazingly lucky for the time, as microsurgery wasnā€™t as advanced as it is today. But I couldnā€™t feel anything in those fingers anymore.

It was actually quite useful: I could handle hot things without burning myself, and I got used to it. In the workshop for example, I could angle-grind something at full speed, then immediately pick up the part with those fingers. It did smell of burnt flesh every once in a while, but it sure didnā€™t hurt.

And then out of the blue, 30 years later, one finger started tingling. Then another. Then I started to feel heat again. After 30 years!

I still canā€™t really feel touch with them, but now I burn myself with amazing regularity. Also, they feel alien to me. Really annoyingā€¦

5 Likes

Can you write an autobiography? The amount of stuff you post on here from your childhood and past experiences always has me reaching for the popcorn. Itā€™s very interesting and entertaining. You sure got up to some stuff.

4 Likes