VivoKey for iOS Dev Update:

How is your learning of Android development going?
I’m looking forward to your Vivokey Android version !

Ahhh dang lol not good, Android Studio is broken for MacOS. Can’t even load a project without crashing. Thats what happens with 3rd party apps that don’t adhere to Apple’s developer guidelines. Need to wait until they fix their xrap to even open the whole IDE.
Just look at this:

“disconnect your 2nd monitor” SERIOUSLY!?

1 Like

Yeah, WTF!!!

What about Xamarin or some other cross-platform tool?

1 Like

Oof. I write Xamarin apps for work and boy, I’m not a fan of that framework.

3 Likes

Omg no. Xamarin is the devil.
Friken coronavirus app in Japan is made by Microsoft Japan.
The lazy dudes decided to make damn 4 pages in Xamarin.
The app download is 140+ Mb.
For just 4 silly pages. Is ridiculous.

3 Likes

YES! The app were working on now has 6 pages, and is 150MB…

Also the venn diagram of features isn’t a perfect overlap… lots of features on both platforms left out or only partially implemented

1 Like

Ummm, so that is a no then :interrobang: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Xamarin is absolutely a no no. Depending on 3rd party developers to update their stuff is never a good idea.
I got to just learn native Android dev and design it for the android users. But the Android app has pretty much all the features needed implemented already. So I am not sure if we will touch it before updating the server side part of things. There is more stuff we want to work on, like customizing users profile pages and other stuff that requires a core change on the server. So before working on a new app, we do have to complete a server upgrade. But is just boring stuff for normal users so we aren’t publishing much of the back-end works.
Android is not abandoned, is just on hold until we are ready with a new core. We could update the app to “look” more pretty but it will be a lot of dev time just to make the app do the same that it already does.
Makes sense?

3 Likes

I mean I dont want to say this but the comment

Is something android users hear quite alot when developers don’t care about it :sweat_smile: not saying you don’t care but alot of developers take the stance “well get an iPhone then” id rather sell me sole to the devil.

3 Likes

If you did get an iPhone, That’s exactly what you would be doing :iphone: :smiling_imp:

Oh gosh. Is just a device. I’ve never understood the fanatics.
I could be spending weeks on making a prettier android app. But it would just do the same that the current app does.
The iPhone app doesn’t do anything more than the android one already does. And even that we have so much ideas, suggestions and plans, we can’t include them on the iPhone app yet because the server core is still the same.

As an example.
We want to allow users to have their phone number on their basic profile.
This requires a new space on the database for all the users. Currently it doesn’t exist.
So that feature at the moment can’t be added in neither iPhone or android.

I’m not saying, “well get an iPhone”. I know people can be religious about it. And to be honest, the majority of VivoKey members are pro-android users. And for the longest time there wasn’t even an iPhone option (still there isn’t). Just because no one wanted to care for making an iPhone option for users. Want a VivoKey implant? you MUST have an android. That to me sounds pretty messed up.

So let me bring this app to the light, then work on the new core with more features. And update the apps one by one. We aren’t many developers working with Amal. But I assure you, we are 100% committed to bring all the features Amal has in mind to reality.

6 Likes

Don’t get me wrong I dont believe it would be done by DT/vivokey but that does happen and its really annoying :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Including raising the CPU so much it triggers a runaway thermal reaction in the battery, causing all iPhones running the Vivokey app to self-destruct when he so chooses?

2 Likes

He did say all features.

6 Likes

Another good reason to stick to Android then :slight_smile:

1 Like

You have fallen for the trap,
That’s what he wants you to think; our self destruct function is just lying dormant, until all the Apple zealots join us. Then…

InKH3T

2 Likes

I’m all Apple (but not a zealot @Pilgrimsmaster :wink:) and this sums it all up for me.

I’ve wanted a chip for years but didn’t just want standard nfc after hearing about vivokey. Now I’m only waiting to see the app hit the App Store before I order two, have convinced another all Apple guy to get on board.

There are many aspects of apple products that are pretty nerdy and hackish (Automator/scripting on Macs, shortcuts on iOS, and pretty much all major languages/platforms accessible somehow) so I’d say the vivokey community is about to get a bunch more valuable contributors. It’s the opposite of having something to be concerned/annoyed about.

1 Like

Bwahaha! Where did you get that idea? :slight_smile:

No Apple product has been nerdy in any way, shape or form since May 1979.

I got a MacBook Pro 16” monitor
Has a 8Gb Radeon Pro gpu, an 8 core i9 chip and 2TB of SSD memory
I can run Mac or Windows 10 in another partition. And play VR games over wifi 6 on ultra settings without loosing frames.

Also have iPhone, iPad Pro, Apple Watch and appleTV, and some HomeKit compatible lights. My wife has all apple products too.

The seamless compatibility is off the charts.

And being able to develop for apple products let’s me pretty much do anything I need to automate pretty much any tasks I do.

5 Likes