What are some implants/modifications you all would like to see in the future?

I’d love to have implants to monitor health. Like recording and reporting heart rate for instance. Or sleep patterns (based on position and movements).

I’ve seen articles about powering implants with the blood flow (kind of a small watermill) or using piezoenergy. For instance, this article, but it’s a bit too complex for my understanding especially in English (it’s not my native language).

I’m not in the medical field at all, just curious about the evolution of “medtech” and what the future will bring us.

I’m already amazed by devices like the Kardia 6L, a small handheld EKG. I wish I had my Polar HRM inside the body, instead of having to wear it on a chest strap.

1 Like

I’m not sure the exact details about them but have you heard of firefly implants? They’re little implants not unlike the x series implants that glow under your skin.

1 Like

Firefly Implants are highly dangerous to have inside your body. Hence why DT will not manufacture anymore. Placing Firefly’s in ones body needs to be done in specific areas that arnt prone to blunt force trauma.

Not to say I wouldn’t put one in me, but to Firefly out your body is a no-no.

2 Likes

yeah, they look pretty cool, but they’re so dim that it wouldn’t really be worth it. especially considering the risk factor of having radioactive gas inside your body…

2 Likes

Sorry, off topic

Your english is fantastic :+1:
What is you native language?
Flemish :belgium:
French :fr:
Dutch :netherlands:
German :de:

Thanks a lot :star_struck:. My native language is French and I can speak a bit of Dutch/Flemish and German too. Or a mix of them when I’m tired/drunk/stoned :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Automatically made me think of the movie eXistenZ anyone remember that. I would get that system in a heartbeat a whole new level of VR.

2 Likes

I dunno about all that. My mind would get too melty. I’d rock a tooth gun though for SURE.

1 Like

Welp, I gotta watch that, looks like it could end up in the same folder with things like Hackers and Johnny Mnemonic

A useful implant would be some kind of Geiger counter implant. The human body has no sense to detect ambient radiation. The problem is, unless WW3 starts or you live near Chernobyl, it’s not going to be terribly useful. Not to mention the difficulty and danger of obtaining a source to test it after implanting it.

1 Like

Oh, I like the Geiger idea. I’m all for things that provide another sense. I’m bummed about the magnets not being available. I like the compass thing that provides a sense of North, but don’t want a bulky plate on my chest. Make it small and implantable and I’m in. As cool as an external jack is, I’ve lived with things protruding from my skin for a while and the maintenance and infection risk isn’t something I’d do on a voluntary basis. I like the clock idea too. Something functional. Maybe an implantable display with a clock as one option or app. I also very much like anything bio-med. Heart rate, blood sugar, temp, etc.

1 Like

I dont know if the tech is there yet but I think it would be cool to make an implant that could be paired with an external source not dissimilar to how a cochlear implant uses a magnetic connection to the exterior connection. It could use a bracelet or something to provide power and simple computing. In theory it could allow real time temp readings or store information in the chip. Or give haptic feedback for things like direction or even notifications.

…I just had a idea, how much lifting power do the xG3 magnets have? I suddenly wanna put a magnet on the back of the wrist and slap a watch on it with no straps.

1 Like

That would be bada** loo

That would be pretty cool. Though knowing me, I’d be constantly bumping it into things and having it detach and roll away comedicly. Hehe

I’d totally implant a digital clock face under the skin if power and brightness wasnt a issue.

2 Likes

An LCD tattoo would solve the brightness issue, and would go a long way toward reducing power consumption.

1 Like

I’m assuming that is not a thing?

1 Like

Well, the thread is about stuff you would like in the future. So, yeah, it’s a thing… in the future :slight_smile:

1 Like

XD true

1 Like