What's up with the people trying spam / sell lately?

Just that, seems like we have had a few people here lately that jump right into their first post trying to push some product. I get that you’re gonna have one every now and then, but why all of them together? Did we get on a spam selling list or something?

3 Likes

What grinds my gears lately is people who join the forum and start posting rightaway as if they’re just picking up the conversation where they left off. Whatever happened to saying hello and presenting yourself?

Christmas is coming up. The great consumerist shitfest is in full swing. Didn’t you know?

2 Likes

It could be people assuming the forum has more active members than there actually are.

This is the first forum I’ve actually participated in. Is this some sort of forum etiquette I missed?

1 Like

I don’t know if there was such.
However when I arrive to a party I have a look around first.
Locate the bar and the bathroom…
Check what’s the conversation is about, before I grab the mic and start singing karaokee…

4 Likes

Well, that’s basic human interaction. Nothing to do with forums. When you join a club, do you start chatting with the members you don’t know as if you’d always been there, or do you say “Hello, my name is X. Nice to meet you, I’m new around here”?

I don’t even know why I have to explain this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I did do this at least :smiley:

1 Like

I should have mentioned that it depends on how thirsty I am upon arrival :partying_face: :beer:

1 Like

Ah, I guess I did this. I couldn’t find a stickied/pinned intro thread and assumed it’d be making clutter to make my own thread just to say hi :sweat_smile: My bad! I’m used to more crowded forums where it’d feel kinda like walking into a house party in full swing where you don’t know anyone and just shouting “Hello! I’ve ARRIVED!”

I’d be glad to make one if that’s standard, though!

3 Likes

I didn’t make one either, I made a post when I got my implants in and kinda hoped that that sufficed. I also made a post asking a few questions, right before I got my implants in. I saw that you kinda did the same (with your New to all of this post). I would say as long as someone doesn’t ask super easily searched questions, and isn’t rude, there’s not really a problem IMO. Some of the new posts I’ve seen have been super rude and overall combative, which is definitely a problem (mainly regarding a certain Paxton token duplication device…).

6 Likes

The search function on this forum works way better than the search function integrated into Confluence which I have to use for work. Also seems like it would be standard practice to spend a few minutes searching before asking a duplicate question. :man_shrugging:

Yeah. Honestly I was shocked about how well the search works (I know the horrors of confluence, used it at a prior job haha). I’m a bit guilty myself of occasionally asking a duplicate question in some circumstances, though. I would say a big part of that is an almost overwhelming amount of information. It can be a bit tricky with such a quickly changing hobby/movement, too, a lot of info is already out of date. Maybe the Welcome post should include a link to the WIKIs category, to ensure that new users easily find still-accurate info (including the excellent Beginner’s guide post), rather than having everything get potentially drowned out by thousands of other posts.

3 Likes

This is something we discussed a while ago,

Now that I think about it, I may have only introduced myself on the discord.

Tbf, I always see people’s install posts as an introduction, that’s how I did it at least. Your My NExT install post would 100% count in my book.

2 Likes

Don’t worry, Ita Be Aight !!! :sunglasses:

I didn’t even know there was a discord :flushed:

1 Like

I need to do a better job of advertising our channels.

What about adding links into the “Forum Welcome” so people can choose their poison :apple:

Discord
FakeBook
Tweeter
Narcistigram

2 Likes