Xg3 and haptic feedback with flexAR

I’ve heard that it’s pretty Canadian as well to pick and choose between the 2

I feel I get good use out of both systems personally. Like for examples, miles per gallon is a better indication of a car’s efficiency than liters per 100 km to me - because, well, it tells you very directly how far you can go with the amount of go-go juice you put in the tank.

Conversely, for anything precise, I use metric. More importantly, I think metric. It would never occur to me to measure something small in fractions of an inch. What a stupid and complicated idea. I can do it, but I just don’t want to. I guess spending 3 years in a European gunsmithing school really shaped my brain to relate to metrics though.

2 Likes

Exactly the opposite

I think in standard from working in machine shops, everything is in thousands of an inch in the real world… assuming I’m dealing with precision

Mm to me is like designing stuff in cad, but the measurement unit isnt shown
It’s only a relative unit to me

“Oh that in this drawing the wall is…10units thick, ok so I’ll make the hole 5units thick so I have 2.5units on either side of the hole”

But eriequiet how big is it in real life?
…fuck if I know lol

1 Like

agreed. I was eager to toss out the inch, weed taught me about grams, but temp has been a tough one.

Should’ve smoked crack for that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Honestly I think US machining is probably the MAIN point of friction for a metric conversion,

A lot of other US industries don’t care and just use what everyone else uses because of convenience

Machinists are a fickle bunch and that is the air they breathe…

2 Likes

The first milling machine I bought was a Bridgeport, in imperial units. It was a very good machine, but the dials very nearly sent me to the insane asylum. Eventually I paid a Dutch service company top dollar (well, euro) to have the machine retrofitted with metric dials, screws and threading gears. What a relief that was.

Here’s a trick to learn metric fast (it’s the first year exam at the Liege Gunsmithing school in fact): crack out your files and shape a 50 mm x 20 mm x 15 mm parallelepiped entirely by hand.

> 51.00 mm : keep on sweating on the rougher
> 50.50 mm : ease off on the rougher, make sure you ain’t drunk when you’re working
> 50.20 mm: time to switch to semi-hard file and remove the largest scratches
> 50.10 mm: soft file time, start drawfiling
> 50.05 mm: drawfile only. Fit with lamp black.
< 50.00 mm: the part is fucked up. Start over :slight_smile:

Do that two or three times and you’ll quickly learn metric.

Gawd… that reminds me of when I was in mech school learning to “repair” aircraft windows

12x18x1 INCH ( lol )

I want to say it was polycarbonate? I don’t remember I tried to block those 3 days out

Every student gets issued a window that the previous class “repaired” and cleaned up

Looks like brand new glass, with little to no distortion

Teacher summons all of his inner sadist and drags various tools and knives thru/across the previously immaculate plastic

For me, he slammed a nice sharp v deburring tool into it, and you could hear it embed in the plastic with a sickening thud and then he pulled and it was like a vegetable peeler for the 2 lines across the window, and then he did it on the back as well in an x

He rode one dudes down the metal grated stairs like a snowboard because he mouthed off

The “repair” was fairly simple, start with 50 grit and EVENLY in all directions remove plastic from the entire window until you have met or exceeded the depth of the damage, then move to 80 grit, repeat until 10 or 20 thousand wet sand / polish

The kicker, no power tools, only by hand :raised_back_of_hand:

…so…much…sanding…

Best/worst part?

Real world if the window is jacked up, you don’t just get to use power tools, you literally just call the window people… and they work on it

So much useless stuff in that FAA curriculum
…I learned how to repair WOODEN propellers… sigh

I…I can’t even… that poor Bridgeport, I can’t even imagine it’s identity crisis

Not really. The Dutch company in question (Hardinge) owns Bridgeport now. Its identity is European. It just happened to carry a disease from a previous life :slight_smile:

Man… it just had to be a Bridgeport… that’s just hurtful

(There’s a reason the really good mill came with imperial numbers on it :stuck_out_tongue:)

Rosie

0°C Water Freezing
~25°C Comfortable warm weather temperature or Swimming Pool Temp
~50°C Death Valley Summer Temp or Japanese Onsen
~75°C Crazy hot, never recorded temp or Sauna Temp
100°C Water boiling

1 Like

Nah. That ain’t how it works:

-30: dead of Finnish winter.
15 or 60: balmy, spring is coming
100: hot summer

:slight_smile:

We can agree on this

Only got to -30 once in the last couple years
It’s always pleasing to know Mars is warmer than your current location on earth

Except for this
“ 15 or 60: balmy, spring is coming”
You hit 45 and I’m wearing shorts

Calling it “standard” is a departure from reality and an insult to 95% of the world’s population. It’s just simply not the case. You should probably start calling it “imperial” online if you want your arguments to hold any weight. Personally I prefer metric, but honestly I couldn’t give two shits about the units of measurement as long as we all use the same ones. The US is being an obstinate child and holding everyone else back (as per usual).

Side note:
mils vs thou. The greybeard EE’s who decided to define themselves against ME’s by taking the same unit of measurement (0.001") and calling it something different just to obfuscate and create an uncooperative, esoteric working environment in my industry should be cursed for all of time. I will parasitic elements on all their data lines!
spits on ground

1 Like

5/5 or 3.5/3.5 :wink:

2 Likes

shrug

You can try to emotionally charge it all you want, the US customary units are still called standard, and they’re not imperial. I didn’t invent it, and I’m not trying to insult nobody:

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_customary_units :

Other common ways of referring to the system in the U.S. are: “customary”, “standard”, or, erroneously: “English”, or “imperial”

Also, even if you don’t like it, it is a standard.

Great thing about standard are there’s so many to choose from :laughing:

That’s true and all, but any (serious) international work is now done in SI units - and for a reason. Just think of the disaster that was the Mars climate orbiter. And I don’t see any inherent advantage to the ‘standard’ units, just disadvantages.

1 Like