xG3 Biomagnet -- suggested locations

I’m sorry for the late response, but I had too much work the past days…
Yes you are correct, my xG3 is implanted in my left hand. I haven’t mentioned the exact location because it is implanted in a normally not recommended location of the hand. I didn’t want to give someone in this forum any (maybe bad) idea for a location. At least I haven’t seen this area by now from other beta testers… My preparation was very much planning just because of the uncommon (for a glass implant) location. I asked at least two doctors if it might fit where I wanted my xG3, one of them made some scans and tests of my preferred implantation area and this doctor (my husband) made this implantation in an very professional surrounding. My regular update on the healing process and performance of the magnet is coming very soon right here. So if someone wants to know more to the location at the moment contact me. Thanks for your patience!

3 Likes

I got mine yesterday! My installer felt he could be more precise with a scalpel than the injector, so I got it done with a Flex-style pocket. Super clean installation and it doesn’t hurt at all unless I accidentally put pressure on it. It’s placed on top of the bone leading to the pinkie, and so far I’m a big fan of the location. With my palm down, I can stick things on the top of the hand to prevent them from rolling off. With palm up, I can easily lift objects. Best of both worlds. So far I don’t have any tendon interference - all my fingers are moving properly and pain free! - but that’s my main concern as it heals, and I’ll be watching closely.

As others have reported, it seems pretty darn weak. I can barely lift one paperclip. I figure this will improve as it heals and the swelling goes down, and moreover, this is absolutely the right tradeoff to make: I’d much prefer a super-well-encapsulated but weaker magnet to a stronger-but-riskier implant. But if you’re looking for a strong magnet, this isn’t the one for you.

Will report back in a few weeks once it’s all healed up.

I assume it is to the right of the incision parallel with and in between the 4th and fifth metacarpal?

Definitely to the right of the incision, but I’m a little unclear as to exactly where it’s ended up - it’s still settling and I’m hesitant to poke it too much to figure out exactly where. But it seems to be on top of / slightly to the left of the 5th metacarpal.

I am very interested in the location that you have implanted it. I would just let you know that my judgement will come from whether I belive it’s a good location for me or not and I’m also thinking about getting some doctor advice myself. However I want my magnet mostly for sensing but chose the g3 due to its coating as it’s the most safe.

I was inspired by Rich Lee’s headphone implants so on May 31st I decided to have the xG3 implanted in the tragus, the tissue in front of my left ear.
Does it work as subdermal mono headphone? Yes, I can hear audio when I hold a coil of copper wire attached to an amplifier next to the xG3. I still need to experiment with the coil so the EM field is strong enough to wear the coil around my neck under a shirt.

13 Likes

@Vicarious

Oh man, that is excellent news. Now you’ve piqued my interest. I might have to get one.

This use-case plays to all of the xG3’s strengths and doesn’t suffer from most of it’s weaknesses.

One thought regarding improving coil performance. You should switch to a much thinner gauge (enamel coated) wire, maybe ~30AWG. Then you can make hundreds of turns.

2 Likes

Hello! Thank you for the interest in my experience with the xG3. I have it mplanted for a little bit over two weeks now and I’m very happy with the magnet! (So happy that I pre-ordered another one) and since I saw the great news of @Vicarious that it work also like headphones… (Simply cool!) well I think I definitely would buy even two more xG3 just for this purpose!

But coming back to the sensing thing. My opinion is that at least somewhere in the hand is the best location for this purpose. The vibration that the xG3 makes near many electric things I’ve tried by now is easy to feel and it gets stronger day by day. So I think there are many good locations for it in the hand (the upper side is the best way to have it without problems if you want to be able to hold magnetic things in your hand without having this permanent feeling to be pulled to this thing)

I’m currently writing on a description what I tried so far with the xG3 and I will add some photos this time too. Then you see it.

1 Like

I was a bit hasty to get my xG3 done, so I just went with the most common location for NFC/RFID chips. It’s on my left hand, but now I’m planning on implanting the xEM chip very soon. I noticed that most proximity card readers on buildings or exterior door locks are generally on the right side of the door and that scanning my chip and opening the door would be generally easier to do with the same hand that has it implanted.

If I were to put an xEM in the same left hand, how far apart should I space it from the magnet to avoid interference or other complications? Is there another spot on the same hand that wouldn’t be difficult to have a professional piercer install it on that would be similarly safe enough to more easily avoid crushing and far enough away from nerves, tendons, or bones or other questionable locations? Regardless of the information I receive on here I will still consult with a medical professional before making any (more) hasty decisions.

Here’s a picture of my xG3 in its current location.

3 Likes

Has anyone had any complications with their xG3?

1 Like

I would say at least 5mm minimum.

2 Likes

Mine seems to be working great, despite its location. It is a very mild tingle when near alternating current power sources, but admittedly it’s somewhat weak.

Oddly enough I feel it just the same and sometimes better with the palm of my hand towards the power source despite the injection site being on the back of my hand. I can somewhat feel it with the back of my hand against the insulated wires, but with less definition in the sensation.

Swelling went down in a couple days and I consciously took care not to do very much with my hand for about a week.

2 Likes

X-Rays! Now that I see it, the xEM (on the right) looks a little close to the bone… but it hasn’t caused me any issues yet. So far this placement is working out great.

Thanks for the images! Yes both look rather close to bone, but if they are not causing you issues, then it should be ok. There is simply an increased risk of breaking if they happen to be trapped between a blunt force trauma and that bone.

So the bevel of the needle is the part that comes to a point correct?

FROM A PREVIOUS POST BY AMAL
The big difference came when inserting into real human skin, particularly skin that was thoroughly cleaned and prepped prior to injection (so, all installs). In fact, the skin prep used and style of prep made a big difference to needle insertion force. To help illustrate why this might be, let’s look at a typical needle bevel;
bevel
bevel

Parts 2 and 3 are the actual cutting edges that perform the incision. Part 1 is typically not a cutting edge, and simply pushes it’s way into the incision in the skin. This is where the problem typically occurs. In all reported cases, it is “getting over this hump” which is difficult and requires much more force. The cutting edges (2 and 3) had no trouble at all getting under the skin, therefore the needle’s “sharpness” is not the issue.

1 Like

I really want to see how the tragus implant was done. That’s a lot of material to shove there! Clearly it worked, but man, tight quarters for that giant needle

2 Likes

To make things a bit clearer about the bevel.

The bevel is the side of the round tube that has been cut, not just the pointed bit. In the image @Pilgrimsmaster re-posted, the problem is that parts 2 and 3 separate the skin as it cuts, which leads some skin to literally go down the length of the inside of the needle… like you’re scooping up skin into the needle. Then along comes part 1, the rear edge of the bevel, and it grabs that skin bit you’ve been scooping up and everything gets hung up there. The skin that has accumulated inside the needle now has to do a 180 and completely fold back the other way, and be dragged into the incision.

To stop this from happening, this is a video of a piercing needle based installation of a chip. It is an alternative method that can be used by piercers if the injector is compromised, not included (prototypes), or the piercer feels more comfortable using their own equipment and methods. The point is that you can see the professional flip the needle over so the bevel is down when performing the incision.

The needle is “bevel up” as the artist is deciding where to perform the incision.

The needle flipped over, “bevel down” as the artist performs the incision.
2019-07-01_12-10-42-firefox

Here is the full video, with the flip occurring at around 10 seconds in.

5 Likes

Unfortunately I don’t have a video to share. Next time (tragus left ear when the xG3 is back in stock) I’ll definitely film it and share the video afterwards.

5 Likes

wow