DOM Eniq with xDF2

Hi, my first post here!
I became “enhanced” (xDF2 standard location) about a year ago and have been playing around for some time.
I recently contacted DOM who make the the door cylinder I now have with some questions and was very friendly invited to come and test stuff. Of course I went over and was kindly allowed to test my tag with their hardware and ask a lot of questions.
So key takeaways for us (us = if not using original DOM Eniq tags):

• Currently the lock only checks UID
  • Somewhere in October/November the option to have data on tag will be made available (expected date).

Original DOM tags use Desfire EV2 with applications. The future data on tag system will write applications on the card. How that will work exactly I do not yet know, but I was told that applications will be written to the card. I expect that to mean that the lock will not only check UID! But will post it here as soon as they release it.

Dom has a Eniq App that works like a charm, setup is a breeze. It works thru BLE, and thru this you can open the door from your phone, add tags, delete tags, check the acces log. And other stuff. The log function is nice as well. Adding a non DOM tag costs €4.70 in-app.

If you don’t want to have your phone involved you can also program the lock directly with the “MasterCard” (also does not cost €4.70 per tag).

On the cylinder you see in the video below it is easy to get a good read every time. For the model in the video you can attempt a read every 8secs. I also tested the complete solution where the entire plate has a integrated reader and handle (Eniq Guard) but had some trouble, but practice and knowing how to present your chip might fix that. If you have a FlexDF2 I think it should work no problem.

They also have padlocks among other lock types.

Thought some might find this interesting, there is more info but didn’t want to make the post long(er) :wink:

Logs in DOM Eniq app:

3 Likes

Hi

Ouch!

I’ll look into this, looks amazing from the video.

I revoke the ouch, this seems to be a solid thing and honestly, I’ve been searching an excuse to get some flex implant in near future :stuck_out_tongue:
Kinda looks like UundZ, didn’t see a price yet so I assume it’s also expensive.

https://www.dom-security.com/uk/en/highlighted-products/dom-eniq-ecosystem/eniq-pro

One note is that I think you loose the log function if you program directly (no app) but I’ll test this weekend.

Yea it’s expensive :grimacing: €450 for starter kit with MasterCard (must have one) plus 5 DOM tags ( for wife or other “un-enhanced” humans)
After that €400 for just a cylinder.
This is the link to the DOM product site:
DOM Eniq Pro

2 Likes

AngryCharmingBigmouthbass-small

5 Likes

Do you have a strong magnet?
I kinda want to see my lock @ LockPickingLawyer before I buy it.

1 Like

I kinda feel so sorry for lock makers. Its like software and hardware security. U see broken into what you have developed for years. Really love LPL’s channel tho.

1 Like

But what about the phone app? It just makes the entire lock soooooooooooooooooooooooo unsecure.

EDIT: I wanna know. How does the lock auth? UID or is it more secure than that?

That bit that tells me that the company is out to shaft their customers any which way they can. Also, it’s clear it’s an internet-enabled product that’s I’ll have problems with at some point, when the internet goes down, or their app goes funny or incompatible with my phone, or the company goes belly up, or they decide to charge me some more for something I already paid, or they stop the service, or they end-of-line the product…

I had seen that product when I was looking for an RFID / NFC door lock. Thanks to your detailed review, I’m 100% sure I want to stay clear the hell away from it.

1 Like

I figured that it is just the app usage +enable smart features of the lock.
There is a casual master fob enroll your tag thing for free according to the op.

But yeah, I don’t want my lock to have bluetooth wifi or whatever…

1 Like

I’m currently thinking about buying this lock (because it’s easily available here in germany, looks nice and should work fine with my flexNExT), so I’ve got some questions about it. Do you actually use that lock? Any news on how it works with implants, if it really uses the UID only, and how “safe” it is as long as you don’t use any app or whatever with it? I plan on using only the mastercard for programming, so no app, no bluetooth, no Wifi…
Yeah, I know that nothing in this world is totally safe, but will it keep someone busy for a longer time than a normal door lock?

All those NFC Euro cylinders have one deadly flaw: the entire mechanism is contained inside the outside knob. A good wack on the knob with a hammer, and all you need to open the lock is a flat screwdriver.

There are a few (can’t remember the brands) that have the mechanism inside the inside knob, and only the antenna on the outside. But they’re much more complicated, more rare and more expensive because they run a thin wire through the entire cylinder.

Put it simply: if only the outside knob is smart, stay the hell away from it for sensitive applications: it only gives the illusion of security.

Mh, guess the front door to my house is such a “sensitive application”? Is there a way to improve safety with those locks, or are there any alternative I can still use my implant on? And no, I’m not going to build one myself, I’m an absolute idiot when it comes to DIY-electronics. Except for my PC, of course…

The two-part versions are at least as secure as rest of the cylinder mechanism is - at least if the manufacturer hasn’t left any other flaw in the cylinder’s design, and there’s at least one that’s common to all Euro cylinders - the center bridge with the screw hole.

The one-part cylinders you see everywhere are just a big joke. I sure wouldn’t put one on the door of my house. The only thing you can do to make things better is replace the entire lock, but that usually entails modifying the door, and possibly the jamb.

Okay, so I guess these ones here

aren’t any safer?
Do you have any two-part locks you could show me? I never had any interest in locks (they were simply there…), but now I’m going to replace my front door anyway, so I think I might try out a new lock as well.

Same thing. The inner knob is dumb.

I’ll have a look, see if I can find the two-part cylinders I had found some months ago.

Now if you’re planning on changing your door, maybe you could have it morticed for Scandinavian lock cores, in which case you could use the Yale Doorman V2N (Mifare Classic, but pretty secure in my opinion), or if you stay mechanical, use disc detainer Scandinavian-style locks, which are better than pin tumblers IMHO.

I’m afraid that won’t work with my chip, at least according to the compatibility matrix… :cry:
I definitely need a lock which works with my flexNExT :wink:

And to be honest, no matter what lock I use, it’s still easier to smash the window next to it and break in that way…^^

Then it’s not a sensitive application, and perhaps the faux-secure NFC cylinders are okay for you :slight_smile: They won’t prevent a knowledgeable burglar from entering your home, but as you say, it’s not the only weak point anyway.

Also, even if the lock is properly made, if you go for something that opens with a NTAG’s UID, it’s as secure as coupe car with the doors locked.

I like that comparison^^
And that’s because it can be hacked relatively easy, right? Like I said, still pretty new to that topic…

But actually - I lost my key today. This might be a stroke of destiny… losing a key is pretty bad for safety, I guess^^

Watch this:

1 Like

Pretty informative thing, thanks! :+1:

Actually - I store my cards in a rfid-shield wallet, always two of them together, because I knew of some of those basics. And I know my hand might be read…
But considering how well-known implanted rfid-chips are around here (like, not at all), how many strangers know of my implant and its use and how much I keep distance to others due to a slight social phobia (like, staying the hell away from 95% of all people^^), I think the risk is - currently - relatively low. Like, it’s technically absolutely possible, but I don’t think it’s a risk I encounter on a regular base. I might be terribly wrong about that, of course. And I’ll definitely keep on researching and talking to the company who’s going to build my door and all that, since I’ve got quite some time left for the decision…