Endochron Implant

NFC commands. NDEF records are just a format for storing certain types of data.

1 Like

Did a magnet sensors test, powered by the super capacitor it was a nice clean signal but only reached about 30 mV, this isnā€™t the final one sensor, itā€™s just what Iā€™ve got. Iā€™ll try it as an interrupt source soon

1 Like

@amal could we possibly have contacts exposed to the body? It would be cool to be able to sense muscle movements, we might not be able to use it for activation because it might use too much power but could we coat it?

Most people arenā€™t going to want random chemicals leached into their body, and equally any holes in the coating are potential places for the implant to start corroding, or bodily fluids to get into the implant.

But I am no expert.

Electrochemistry is an interesting sensing concept. In fact we did patent a coating technique that involves keeping an encapsulation intact while enabling electrochemical sensing through the coating by doping the encapsulant with conductive nanoparticlesā€¦ but we have yet to devise a practical manufacturing method :wink:

10 Likes

Ooo interesting, would the coating bind well enough to metal or would it just peal off if we stick a wire through?

The idea isnā€™t that a wire gets coated, but that the coating basically has a conductive section created by the nanoparticles, so the PCB directly under that section could have a normal.copper pad or possibly some conductive foam or expansive element to ensure good connection with the encapsulantā€¦ like a layered approach.

1 Like

I must have missed a few 0s, thatā€™s more than any betavoltaic could do

I had the meeting with Widetronix this morning and they said we can get 1.5uA at 2v in a package 3x14x14mm which is alright, they said it would be a year or more to develop and certify the casing though, Iā€™m getting a quote from them for that so Iā€™ll post that here when I get it

2 Likes

The crazy idea of using thermocouples to power the RTC as a backup just crossed my mindā€¦ However, I donā€™t think something like this is viable.

Need a temperature differential that doesnā€™t exist within the body for a thermocouple or peltier element to work

1 Like

Can we have this as a FAQ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

:sweat_smile: my bad

No. Itā€™s an idea that at first makes senseā€¦ Bodies generate heat and thermocouples (or peltier devices) turn heat into electricity. But they need a temperature differential which can be possible on the outside. But is going to be much harder inside the body. If you run the devices between inside and outside the body we might as well have an external battery pack instead.

You did nothing wrong by suggesting it. The more suggestions people have the better. Perhaps someone will have an inspired idea that nobody has come up with yet.

1 Like

Peltier devices need a temperature difference, thermocouples on the other hand will turn heat into electricity but then you run into the problem of connecting these in series when everything is at the same temperature. In other words, connecting thermocouples in series without creating some sort of peltier device is not an easy task, if itā€™s even possible to begin with.

I know, and I did mention that it was a completely crazy idea.

Sorry, not so. Thermocouples create a microvolt differential when there is a temperature difference between one end of the wires and the other.

Thereā€™s no way to harvest energy from raw heat within a closed system that has no temperature differential unless you can harvest quantum entropic effects. Even then itā€™s barely perceptible quantities of energy, and the materials science involved is intense.

3 Likes

Any chance body fluids could work as a self regenerating electrolyte solution?

This clock runs off a simple galvanic cell battery, which entails the emersion of a cathode or positive metal (such as copper) and an anode or negative metal (such as zinc) in an electrolyte solution. The lemon-laced water serves as the electrolyte solution, which allows the transfer of electrons between the two metals, resulting in an electric cell. If youā€™ve ever used a potato to power a digital clock as a school project, then youā€™ve witnessed the same process at work. These water-powered clocks tend to sell for less than $20, not counting any lemon juice runs youā€™ll have to make.

Doesnā€™t it also corrode the metal Iā€™m the process? I didnā€™t do chemistry but that seems like how it would work

1 Like

Thatā€™s my understanding, otherwise wouldnā€™t we just stick a trillion anodes and cathodes in ocean?

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure it does, but the question is how fast. If it can keep a clock running for years then it might be slow enough to use in vivo with no negative effectsā€¦ maybe?

In a chemical battery, thereā€™s a bunch of ion exchange between the electrodes and the electrolyte. In addition to polluting your blood with a not insignificant amount of anions, the electrodes would get gummed up and dissolved by the biological components of your blood. There might be some super-science way to pull it off, but I can almost guarantee thereā€™s an easier way to get energy inside the body :sweat_smile:

5 Likes