Install Videos and Pictures šŸ©ø

Got stabbed with my apex this past Friday finally.

The sunday (day 2 I if install is day 0)

While I had gauze and bandages off, i was able to get a read with my phone (no case, against skin). With a case or bandage on top my phone cant find it but im sure that still has plenty of time to improve. In the meantime Ive gotten a random hid reader to beep at it, my friend has read it with a flipper, and my acr122u can get it pretty consistently

My dad wasnt excited to do it and it probably wansnt the absolute ideal install but he would rather do it himslef than have me look around for a piercer or tatto shop that would be willing. (and there are no partnered installers verry close to me)
He is the head athletic trainer at my college and had a couple of the sports team physicians supervising just in case. Overall, it seemed to go decently well and its feeling pretty good.

7 Likes

Nice! Did he hit a vein? I only had a drop or two of blood on mine.

Good question. I donā€™t remember much blood at all from my NExT install long ago if any but this one just started flowing once the big needle came out. After a bit of pressure it calmed down but still, quite different.

Then again the needle is a bit different to an x series as wellā€¦

1 Like

:joy::metal: Just slightly.

If he did youā€™d probably know pretty quick from the blood pooling during healing.

Got new tech today. Wrist flexSecure and an xG3 near each knife edge. (only one magnet recorded)

Installed by @TheOdd in Flint, MI

2 Likes

Any lube on that needle for the flexSecure install? Doesnā€™t look like itā€¦ thatā€™s one of the reasons itā€™s so hard to push in. Liberal amounts of lube make that whole process much easier.

1 Like

I definitely saw some applied. Canā€™t speak to how much

You should basically use so much that itā€™s comical :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Screen-Shot-2019-05-02-at-6.42.39-PM

8 Likes

9.5 day update:
Ive been using my hand mostly normally for a bit now and ive gotten several things set up with the apex. Just today the last steristrip came off and ive gotten a first look at the install site after the install itself and it looks pretty good.

At this point I can consistently read it with my phone but still only with the case off. I find that weird since I can read my NExT through the phone caseā€¦ Dispite that though, ive set it up as my tesla card the other day and it worked on that reader surprisingly well. Ive set up fido2 now for my google and college login, ive had ndef working since i tested in the package, Ive installed the OTP app but havent moved any codes over yet. Ive tried to use the vivokey app to log in to the forum but i always get ā€˜nfc errorā€™.

At this point (and ill probably make a thread for this) the next thing i want to look into is emulating desfire since i have 2 desfire systems that it would be cool to use with my apex. One of them Im a sysadmin of so i can enroll if i want, and the other i have a friend in the orgs IT that sounds willing as long as theres a way to do it without him just giving me master keys or something which i bet there is (im just a dumbass and dont know much about desfire yet).

4 Likes

Consider different rotational orientations as well. Typically flex are 90 degrees offset from what a NExT or x-series would work best at.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been using the orientation that works with the case off which is parallel to the antenna (90 degrees to the x series) but I just tried rotating it around more and no luck with other rotations or with the case. Iā€™m guessing its either my phone being a bozo or it will continue to improve some more with time. Probably my phone in particular (LG Velvet) because Iā€™ve been getting decent reads on my acr122u, some other random reader on campus, and surprisingly good on my tesla.

1 Like

Oh one more thingā€¦ if you have an NDEF record on, then it might take a second or two to register a readā€¦ this came up because unlike a NExT or a simple tag type, when Apex is scanned by Android or iOS phones, the phone operating systems do a lot of probing before even acknowledging the tag is present. This means no noises or haptic feedback while the phone is probing away.

I only discovered this because I have LEDs on my apex mega prototypes and Iā€™d notice they would kick in and go solid a good second or two before the phone reacted at all. Further testing with a proxmark in sniff mode confirmed this.

So, when testing out orientations, drop your phone downā€¦ give it a couple secondsā€¦ then lift, rotate, and drop againā€¦ donā€™t just spin it in place.

3 Likes

Is it possible to emulate desire with the apex?

Kinda. Not really emulate an entire desfire chip, but possibly the apps on a desfire. I did a whole video about it actually but canā€™t find it now. Maybe the resident AI will have better luck finding it.

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: The antiā€‹:no_entry_sign:-derailmentā€‹:railway_car: & threadā€‹:thread: hijackingā€‹:gun: threadā€‹:thread: :interrobang:

Thank you for the clarification. :raised_hands:

Cā€™mon, wheres the video?

Do you see where it says ā€œa post was merged into an existing topicā€

Pilgrim master followed up this discussion over there, linking to that video.

2 Likes

Had my Apex Mega Spectrum installed (left wrist) tonight by Dustin Robbins at ENSO Piercing in SLC, UT.

Awesome experience all around. I can say I definitely recommend him for complex installs.

6 Likes