LED/glowing microchip?

Hey @Kazarelth

Other colors would be possible, but they would be appreciably dimmer.

brightness

4 Likes

I am!!! Iā€™m interested

2 Likes

Yeahā€¦ no ideaā€¦ only testing will determine this, but common sense says it will be less effective the denser the melanin gets.

Not weird at all, but probably not. The reason, as @Satur9 already stated, is that green is the brightest color. There are more visible photons emitted by the green color than any other color.

5 Likes

I would also be very interested, what would the expected size be? And would it be powered by the body or would it require wireless charging?

1 Like

Donā€™t think we need to charge it. Itā€™s nuclear powered!
Check out Tritium luminescence

4 Likes

In that case I will be jumping on that as soon as itā€™s available.

3 Likes

tritium

1 Like

a dream would be implantable xLEDs :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

4 Likes

stay tunedā€¦

4 Likes

I agree - to be honest I donā€™t trust putting radioactive stuff in my body, even if itā€™s encased in a blocking material. We have a family history of cancer and I donā€™t want to give it any excuse to start.

5 Likes

Iā€™m also not sure with a chip similar to the firefly, but I must say, I will trust DT more, that this implants are safer.
I think just more fun is to have a xLED so it flashes when someone comes near to your hand with a reader :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@JennyMcLane since youā€™re interested in implantable LEDs, would you mind answering those three questions from the beginning of the thread?

4 Likes

Why not ? It would be fun and I say yes if there is no risk to health.

2 Likes

I think having a glowing implant would be awesome if it was not radioactive material.

My feedback:

1. If I had to use my phone to trigger the glow, Iā€™d pass on getting one.
  2. I wouldnā€™t mind the increase in size to accommodate a battery. Iā€™d definitely go get that professionally done. Jeesh, sounds big!
  3. Sure, a belt that powered the glow sounds super discrete too.
3 Likes

1, I have already one - there is also a discussion about this implant in this forum

I bought it from an otehr store - my implant is fine. (got it in February 2019)

1. no battery for me. How would you turn on and off the LED?

2. no - for me would this a problem, we are not allowed to wear, rings, braclets and smimilar stuff at work

3 Likes

I think a cool approach would be building a implant like the XLED but adding a capacitor inside that would charge when brought close to a phone or reader and keep the LED lit or a heartbeat flash for 30 seconds or so after removing the power source.

4 Likes

@FastBlinker
Yeah, I like that idea too!

Here is the highest Farad capacitor (200mF) I could find with a Z-height that was remotely possible for implantation (1.4mm). If the LED is running at ~3V, the math for how long it would last would look like this:

Farad = Coulombs/Volt
(200mF) = Coulombs/(3V)
Coulombs = 0.6

Amp-hours = Coulombs/Seconds in an Hour
Amp-hours = (0.6)/(3600)
Amp-hours = ~167Ī¼Ah

If a tiny LED required 15mA to reach full brightness, that means it would last:
167Ī¼Ah/15mA = 0.011h = ~40 seconds

Thatā€™s a pretty big implant for 40 seconds of illumination. Some other biohackers I know are working on developing their own high density Supercapacitor to address this problem, but itā€™s not exactly viable as an off-the-shelf solution at the moment. Weā€™re pretty much stuck with chemical batteries or magnetic field power.

7 Likes

Tritium would not work even if it was non radioactive (personally I do not think the radiation is an issue, it is the lack of light radiation that is a problem.
In a pitch black closet you can barely see it thru the skin when folded like in the picture and it is even worse between the thumb webbing, so unless you want to take your friends into a dark room to show it off, it would just be a useless little bump. This is a pretty beefy and fresh vial too.
It is almost known for being underwhelming even on the surface of wristwatches

Quite interested in LED though.

4 Likes

So? Itā€™s still cool.

4 Likes

I donā€™t see a need for it, but it seems interesting enough.

3 Likes