My anniversary project - a privacy friendly popl clone

Diane.me for personal contact card, encrypted.cards for business cards lol

1 Like

Hey who of you leaves feature requests as card IDs huh? Just discovered it :slight_smile:
Some weird long card IDs are actual sentences ha.

To answer it no I do not think custom passwords are smart, but changing the password is a feature on the list. Changing it would allow you to remove access to the data from people that have the link already.

Custom passwords just lead to bad passwords imo. I generate them cryptograohically secure with the APIs the browser provide. No human can beat that.

Editing secrets (fot the link) is also planned, but not custom, just to generate a new one.

1 Like

Want a little preview? We’re getting closer to a usable editor…

This isn’t perfect but at least it doesn’t enforce an order and allows multiple entries of the same type.

Both these things will be possible with the next update.

4 Likes

When is the next update, out of curiosity? I love this project. I checked the website a little bit ago and it says it’s certificate is not valid.

Hope I’m not being too pushy/nosey.

3 Likes

It’s been laying around. I’ll give it another test and push soon!
Let’s say this weekend :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Awesome! I’m excited to see what you’ve been cooking up.

1 Like

Actually I broke a lot of stuff and rebuilt it, did some real quality improvements.
I broke all your cards, I might get a migration going but idk, you may have to reenter your info.

I removed vcard uploads. I’ve made model changes which allow me to generate vcards from your card data, but that’s not implemented yet.

I’ll see what I can do until this WE.

<3

2 Likes

Be more pushy! Actually I should have monitoring for this…
Noise helps with motivation.

I have to quit for today, there’s some basic migrations of your name and bio now.
Currently all entries are reset.
I guess I can do entries tomorrow.

New business cards should be fine.

This “release” was very rushed, so please report every weird thing you notice.

2 Likes

Coincidentally, my left hand navigates to my own version of a contact card, while my right hand navigates to either the CDC or NSA - the when showing off to the “I don’t want the government to track me” folks, I have them scan the right hand. Then when the gov site pops up, I say “uhhh… That’s not supposed to happen!” :joy:

3 Likes

So should be fine now. When you now go to your edit link you will be notified about the migration, then you can click save and it should be done.

So what have I actually done?
I’ve changed the underlying model heavily.
I’ve split up special entries like a name or image into seperate things, called the profile for now.
All other entries are now much easier to handle in the code.

That should allow me and others to make styles more easily.

That also allowed me to make a better editor.
This is still not even close to what I want, but much better already imo.

Now I’ll have to do vcard generation, which is also a thing I can now do with the new structure.
And fix some UI things.

The migrations from the old version to the new one on the client are needed because I can not see your data, so I can not migrate it, you have to. I was tempted to just delete all cards, but in the long run I need migrations anyway.

1 Like

Looks like attempting to edit a previously created entry will straight up remove it. Weird.

Looking great though!

1 Like

D: I know where it happens but I have no idea why yet.
I’ll put it in with some other minor fixes soon™.

Yeah ok found why and changed it. Moving an entry is still buggy tho.

Thanks!

This isn’t perfect but at least it doesn’t enforce an order and allows multiple entries of the same type.

Both these things will be possible with the next update.

Will there be plain text entry type?

1 Like

I don’t get what you want exactly. Just a line of text? Is the bio not enough?

Yes. No. :grinning:

2 Likes

It’s great but isn’t it missing a few entries for social networks. Like Facebook, Instagram, Messenger, but also Telegram, Signal, Whatsapp. Or is it deliberate?

1 Like

Nah, my entry definition is still very incomplete.
I’ll have to spend some time going through all types.

Okay, so next up:

• finishing up entries
  • fix image deletion
  • fix sorting

Update might come this WE.

Hm, I think I’ll have to deny this feature request.
I’ll write it down for the future.
Is your goal to organize entries into groups?

No groups. I just have a few things that aren’t really links to a service.
Public keys, passwords to ancient pcs, crypto addresses. The sort of thing I’d want someone to manually copy/paste/read.
You’re right though, I can just stick them in my bio if needed.

There are websites for public keys. Many crypto addresses can also be a url.
I get your idea now tho.
Let me think of something.

1 Like

encrypted-cards-main.zip (184.9 KB)

Here’s the source. it’s explicitly public domain, do whatever you want with it, only thing tho: please do not use my domain when you share the code e.g. my mail in the SECURITY.md.
I do not make any promises e.g. about security, it’s a fun site project and beta.

I don’t have the time for this anymore (got a new job, new priorities…) and I lost the drive for this months ago, all interesting problems are solved.

It’s written in golang and JS, with barely any 3rd party dependencies.
I’ve updated the docs but it’s very minimal. The code is a bit messy, but hey it’s free.

As you may know it barely works for what it is so here’s the minimum of things you’d need to do to turn this into an actual product:

• finish all the entry types (generate urls and names automatically)
  • make a decent vcard generation
  • fix the sizing for mobile
  • fix the deployment (probably wanna do TLS on an nginx and throw my dockerfile away)
  • implement more styles
  • you probably wanna redesign the core CRUD stuff to use a real database lol

Would be cool to see this survive, idk, I really hate all other contact sharing platforms you people use.

Credit: @non-bin and @iahimsogard helped with this.

If anyone’s really up to maintain this, I’m there to chat. It’s really mostly javascript and css work.

Idk if I’ll ever get back to this project, probably, but probably not in the next months.

EDIT: hmu if you want to continue hosting this, I still have some funds on digital ocean, but I’ll shut the instance off as soon as it runs out. I can transfer the domain (and data) to someone trusted.

5 Likes