and raise you a

tenor (75)

5 Likes

now that thread is back into being interesting! :laughing:

1 Like

Capt. Remember your pressure points.

Now I was at a family barbecueā€¦

1 Like

Yeah no kidding. This thread had the potential to become a really interesting event to discuss level-headedly and draw useful lessons from, but instead went south and turned sour in a hurry. Too badā€¦

Was that pun intentional? Lol, also username checks out

Hey @Backpackingvet, as far as I know your one of the medical peeps on the forum

Even if the discussion with OP has gone pear shaped I still have medical curiosity over the concept regardless

I can accept the concept of an implant making it thru the heart

But supposedly itā€™s a asymptotic embolismā€¦

I can believe a small clot not causing an issue but taking out - few alveoli,

But wouldnā€™t a 2mm ā€œclotā€ or obstruction cut of circulation to a fairly large chunk of ones lung? I would expect that would cause decent amount of cell death at the least?

2 Likes

It was an interesting discussion, a pity the tone shifted.

I hope the OP stays in contact with Amal
I also hope the OP stays safe and healthy

3 Likes

I have been looking into it at work recently because I have been curious. I also figure, if that size implant can make it down there, no reason a cath lab shouldnā€™t be able to fish it out in a similar route. They can steer the wires inside you, and once by something, they have a direct route.

I mean, I personally can not imagine why you would want to leave that in the lung, I also am not a doctor and have no idea what is involved for sure.

I have seen a fountain of blood shoot up 4 feet in the air when a new heart surgeon was putting a patient on bypass.

I have seen a heart cut out of a person. And a new one put in. I have seen wonderful, awe inspiring things at work. I see no reason why that could not be taken out with ease.

Iā€™m done with this thread by the way. @ me in the lounge, but the mood in here is bad news for me.

source (4)

4 Likes
4 Likes

Was thinking the same thing as a read that @anon3825968

1 Like

Well I kinda always suspected Backpackingvet was a Nexus-6 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

same

1 Like

Thatā€™s fair, I was just going to continue the thread regardless of OP, trying to salvage the topic, but maybe itā€™s best we just make a new thread on the subject

Potentially the body would be able to redirect other tiny vessels into those cells pretty fast.

Iā€™ve read other similar events where they usedā€¦ (I will fail terribly at translating it): ā€œendovenous cateter somethingā€ technique to remove it. basically what you were expecting.

Because then the tale becomes less impressive? :wink: :sweat_smile: :rofl: :innocent:

Think I agree with you as well!

Well, according to the case report in Mariarangokā€™s post of the known 9 cases of implant embolism mentioned that only 6 of the 9 had them removed. There were also multiple techniques used: the endovenous catheter one, or a mini thoractomy.
Boy am I glad I muted this thread. True to his name indeed

And away we go!

Seems like you arenā€™t the only one with a lung implant, although documented cases are so rare that it seems like a non issue A Woman's Birth Control Implant Moved From Her Arm to Her Left Lung