Proxmark3 Easy and Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W

Well, I have started on my quest to make a useful doohickey out of a raspberry pi 0 2w. I have a lightweight image that can boot, connect to a network and I can ssh in.

Next steps (in my opinion)

1. Include Proxmark3 software on the image
  2. Have the image start up a wifi access point (rather than be a client
  3. Add one of the two displays I have for this form factor
  4. Add a program, running on the display that lets you perform basic scanning/cloning functions.
7 Likes

I guess I missed :

1. realize I am using the 32 bit OS build and switch it to the 64 bit version.

So I have…

1. Switch to 64 bit OS Done
  2. Include Proxmark3 dependencies on the image. Done
  3. Include Proxmark3 software on the image (requires packaging Proxmark3 for Debian.)
  4. Have the image start up a wifi access point (rather than be a client) - Initial useful image Done
  5. Add one of the two displays I have for this form factor
  6. Add a program, running on the display that lets you perform basic scanning/cloning functions.
4 Likes

So do we need a special image for the one or can we swap it from the pi0 to pc?

It will be the same codebase for the raspberry pi client as the PC client or Mac client. I have moved my Proxmark3 between windows, Linux on a raspberry pi and android without any issues.

This is initially a method of providing a relatively low cost option for a Proxmark3 client without any tricky set up on the end user side.

The addition of a screen and controls will allow some basic commands to be run without any extras.

4 Likes

I have gone slightly out of order and have the Raspberry pi image working as a wireless access point.

There is also a git clone of the Iceman repo. All I had to do was boot the image, login, cd Proxmark3, make, sudo make install, pm3_flash_all and then pm3 worked.

Next step is to package the entire pm3 build and have the package pre-installed.

Depending on the image on your Proxmark3 easy you might need to flash it to use the client. They don’t have to match but they do need to be close.

4 Likes

If you are interested in this the release image is at

If you want to generate your own image then you want my fork of pi-gen from

3 Likes

Note to myself: Add ttyd to the image and have ttyd pm3 started at boot time (once pm3 is installed)

This gives a web terminal running pm3 on port 7681.

(For those wondering about other uses of the pi you could use ttyd bash to give you a normal shell on the web interface)

Ttyd added and a 32 bit image created as well as the 64 bit one.

Tomorrow I will add scripts to set up Proxmark3 and ttyd, and test both images.

5 Likes

2 Likes

One more day I think… Just ironing out the last bugs in the ttyd installation/configuration.

1 Like

Well, I am half way there…

The 64 bit image is working. Copy it to a tf card (I use dd if=proxmark3-64bit.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M status=progress)

Boot your raspberry pi zero 2 W (or any other 64 bit capable raspberry pi) and wait. It will resize the file systems, and start up a wifi access point with the name PM3.

Once that is up you can connect to it (it has no internet access). The password is DangerousThings.

Plug the Proxmark3 easy into the USB port (I bought a six inch micro USB to micro USB cable for this).

You can now point a browser at http://192.168.23.1:8080/
and you will see the pm3 prompt.

2 Likes

You will need to uncompress the image before writing it. As well as the pm3 web interface at http://192.168.23.1:8080/ there is a shell interface at http://192.168.23.1:8000/

The username/password is the same for the shell and for ssh username: dt password: Proxmark3

I should add that the 32 bit image is not quite working… So that will take a bit more finagling, but I hope to get it completed in the next day or two.

Great job!

If the PI Zero 2 supports the 64-bit OS, and your solution works fine on it, why bother with the 32-bit image?

1 Like

@ItaBeAight was asking if it would work on a Raspberry Pi Zero W, as they have one they could use. That would take the 32 bit version.

To be honest I am impressed with how well the Proxmark3 software works with ttyd. If they were more readily available I would suggest just buying a new Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W. But Amazon has 2 at $77 so yeah…

3 Likes

Just last night I was able to locate some pi zero 2 kits which come with other things I may or may not need but makes the $50 price a little more justifiable.

VILROS is the seller, I believe they are approved by raspberry so I believe they can be trusted.

1 Like

I am pretty sure I have bought from VILROS before without issue.

I received my pi zero 2 a couple days ago, time to get started on this project.

Do I need to install raspian first? Then load the image from within?

Nope, just unzip the image and write it to an sd card, then you boot from the SD card.

2 Likes

Hey @Zwack , did you have any more luck with the 32bit image? The 64 bit pi zero 2 w’s are so hard to find at the moment! I’ve tried compiling the whole lot myself but my pi is just hanging when compiling.

1 Like