The antiđŸš«-derailment🚃 & threadđŸ§” hijackingđŸ”« threadđŸ§” ⁉

Don’t have to stop anything, wasn’t offense, just felt very oversimplified

I just wanted to voice a counter argument, beyond that we simply agree to disagree

I find people in the EU definitely tend to say “wear” as opposed to “have”
 like “Does Michelle have an implant?” sounds much more appropriate than “Does Michelle wear an implant?” 
 to me, “wear” means something that can be easily donned and removed as any piece of clothing.

3 Likes

oh also yes
 she does

4 Likes

So you wouldn’t say “wear a tattoo” for instance? That’s something I say also.

I know you were replying to Amal

But yea I wouldn’t say I wear tattoos
Feels weirdly clunky, also implies the tattoos existence can be separate from my own

I have Tattoos
I AM tattooed

Probably just a weird language thing, in addition to different philosophy of implants

This conversation has also been had before
 here is one part of it.

Feel free to follow it through
 or not

3 Likes

Do you wear a mole? Do you wear a skin tag? I agree with @Eriequiet I cannot wear a tattoo. I have a tattoo, so I just say I have tattoos. Like, I have moles or I have skin tags.

I thought @anon3825968 was from Merica.

I am not following it, I was there for the original.

1 Like

In English you can be also “sleeved”.
Wearing sleeves, or being sleeved up - I hear those rather often.

:monorail:
Just got the text that DHL is coming today.
:partying_face:

1 Like

Yeah I know. But to my credit, I wasn’t the one who brought that back up :wink:

my bad, I didn’t know

I have heard people say
“I wear my Tattoo with pride”

EXACTLY 
Weird

Haha, have nothing to apologise for :+1:
It doesn’t matter AT ALL, I was just highlighting that there may be some points already made, or to reference, or agree with or disagree with

That’s very interesting - because, though the term “wearing a tattoo” feels strange for me, the above sentence feels totally okay.
I mean, the alternative would be “I have my tattoo with pride” (???) or just “I am proud of my tattoo”, but it’s a slightly different feeling to it, I think

Hm, what do you native english speakers do with haircuts of all kinds? Do you have them or do you wear them? Because I heard the sentence in a similar way - like, “I wear my mohawk with pride”
 :thinking:

2 Likes

Interestingly, it’s the same as the tattoo dilemma to me. “I wear my mohawk with pride” sounds perfectly fine to me, but normally a haircut is definitely something you have.

“I have a mohawk”, “I have a buzzcut”, “I have a ponytail” is definitely correct. Same goes for other possessive types, “I got a new haircut today”.

1 Like

Then maybe “wearing something with pride” has to do with the way you display a feature of yourself
 like, you could as well “wear your nose with pride”. At least in German, that’s totally possible - and still, normally, nobody would say you “wear” your nose. So it might have more to do with the “pride”-element of it, and less with the otherwise totally fitting distinction between wearing or having something

That’s pretty interesting!

1 Like

Think you nailed it on the head there.

I hadn’t thought of the way it would work in German (I took 3 years of German in HS), but yeah, that’s interesting.

The differences and quirks in languages is super interesting. It was one of my favorite things about learning German, seeing the differences between it and English.

My favorite was probably learning different compound words in German. Fledermaus and WaschbÀr were definitely my favorites that I learned :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: The verbosity is so fun.

1 Like

6 Likes

Reminds me, what was the last position of a magnet being able to move inside the glass

Is there Resin in the Xg3 or just the Magnet in glass?

I think there’s resin

Oh that’s probably why it’s a bad idea

Movable magnet means non resin reinforced glass
So it would be more fragile, there probably no bueno

1 Like