The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

Y is like H. the sound the word makes is the ruleā€¦
Which becomes funnier if you sayā€¦

• YOOnicorn, from down under
  • Unicorn, from southern england
  • EWnicorn, from northern england

Not AN Yooni-unicorn? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think thatā€™s how folks here pronouce ā€œEunuchā€ā€¦ sure I can trust that source? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

There is only time in the American pronunciation that the ā€œrā€ in the word corn is silent.

2 Likes

This is more of a cob on the unicorn than a unicorn on the cobā€¦or is the unicorn ā€œWearingā€ the cob? :wink:

1 Like

Not in the south.

2 Likes

Okay, question: completely cashless society - yay or nay?

Damn, had to go through all this unicorn-y insanity :rofl:

psycho

In german, it would be ā€œIch trage mein Implantat mit Stolzā€. Quite literally, actually. Still, if you leave the ā€œpride-partā€ away, nobody would say ā€œIch trage ein Implantatā€ - the most ā€œinvasiveā€ thing you would wear in german would be glasses or a hearing aid. Instead, you would say ā€œIch habe ein Implantatā€, so, ā€œI have an implantā€. Same goes for tattoos, piercings, hairstyles etc. You would always just ā€œhaveā€ them, but you would ā€œwearā€ them with pride. Strange thing^^

To this - nay, I love the anonymity of cash^^

Isnā€™t a poā€™ boy technically a rewritten version of a dropped R in English?

1 Like

Kinda, I think it was based on an accent.

Like, imagine a deep southern draw saying, ā€œHere comes another poor boy looking for some food.ā€

Might sound more like, ā€œEre comes nother po boy looking fo some foodā€

I wonder what a true bostoner would say? They have the standard non-rhotic accent of ā€œpark the car on Harvard yardā€ thing that would suggest theyā€™d drop the R in unicorn too.

Article on Boston accents

Am I the only one that finds the thought that unicorns donā€™t exist but giraffe do so strange?
Like honestly what sounds more realistic, a 5 meter tall mutant horse creature who canā€™t drink water for too long without passing out due to itā€™s height, or a horse with a horn.

4 Likes

Not to mention the fact that we already have one-horned creatures with the narwhal and the rhino.

Fighting with a horn seems a lot more realistic than when two giraffes fight by smacking their heads and necks together incredibly violently.

3 Likes

You risk hurting my feelings hereā€¦

You know about the invisible pink unicorn? It exists, you just canā€™t see it - prove me wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

Just now reading about Giraffes, three hearts, gills?! :exploding_head:

Iā€™m surprised it doesnā€™t have wings.

Maybe the giraffe should be the mythical creature

Shhhhh donā€™t let the government find out we released them.

1 Like

Boil the liver and bone marrow to see god, it has plenty of DMT.

To bad I never could, I would feel absolutely terrible for killing one.

the ā€œwith prideā€ thing is what turns it a bitā€¦ it indicates you are showing something offā€¦ letting everyone see and taking pride in the fact others are ā€œbearing witness to your greatnessā€ hahaā€¦ if you know what I mean. I think in the case of most chip implants that donā€™t have blinkiesā€¦ the answer would never be ā€œwear with prideā€ā€¦ you might ā€œuse them with prideā€ or maybe even ā€œcarry them with prideā€ ā€¦ thought that is getting close to ā€œwearingā€ ā€¦ but you would much more likely say ā€œI take great pride in my implantsā€ or ā€œtake great pride having implantsā€ā€¦ still not ā€œwearingā€ā€¦ and when it comes to implants with blinky LEDs you might say ā€œI show off my blinkies with prideā€ ā€¦ but now letā€™s talk about breast implantsā€¦ a woman might say something like ā€œI take great pride in my breastsā€ and even omit the fact they are implants or not ā€œnaturalā€ā€¦ and this is part of the crux I think for this argumentā€¦

I think we tend to consider our augmentations as part of us and part of who we areā€¦ and this is what separates ā€œwearā€ from ā€œhaveā€ā€¦ to wear something makes it clearly separate from youā€¦ it is some auxiliary thing you don (put on) when wanted or needed, and presumably take off laterā€¦ though removal is not necessarily part of itā€¦ just the idea that something you ā€œwearā€ is an forever considered an accessoryā€¦ by the understanding of the term ā€œwearā€ it can never be part of you in the way an implant can be.

Letā€™s take for example prosthetics. People ā€œwearā€ a prosthetic armā€¦ they have many armsā€¦ they can interchange them at willā€¦ yet to that person they feel to be part of who they areā€¦ so they use terms like ā€œI use my armā€ and ā€œi need to change my armā€ and it feels very personal to themā€¦ but I have also heard some with prosthetics say things like ā€œI think Iā€™m going to wear my fancy arm tonightā€ā€¦ so the term ā€œwearā€ as a verb makes sense in this context, and they may even say ā€œIā€™m wearing my fancy arm tonightā€ā€¦ but they would not likely describe their use of prosthetics as ā€œi wear a prosthetic armā€, rather they might say ā€œi have a prosthetic armā€ or ā€œi use prostheticsā€ ā€¦ but now Iā€™m speaking for people with experiences I just donā€™t have so I will link some I know to this post to get their thoughts on the subject.

Anyway, I looked this up for the term ā€œwearsā€ vs ā€œwearingā€, and while this isnā€™t directly related to the personal choice to use the term ā€œwearā€ vs ā€œhaveā€, I still found this bit interesting, if not obvious;

There is a difference in connotation between ā€œis wearingā€ and ā€œwearsā€ (or ā€œcarriesā€ or anything else in a similar construction). ā€œIs wearingā€ usually means that the person is wearing that thing currently, whereas ā€œwearsā€ usually refers to a pattern of behavior. The sentence ā€œJulia wears jeansā€ means that wearing jeans is something that Julia does (sometimes, all the time, etc.). That can be made more specific, as in ā€œJulia wears jeans a lot,ā€ meaning that wearing jeans is something that Julia does often.

EDIT: ā€¦ heard back from Angel Giuffria about her prosthetic and this is what she had to sayā€¦

What you wrote feels real to me! as a person with a prosthetic device and implants because my arm can come on and off there have been times where I have referred to it as wearing my arm or arms even though it does feel very personal and a part of me but because my implants arenā€™t something that comes on and off (in or out), I would say I have implants. I understand the vernacular ā€œwear with prideā€ but I think with implants it would be more of discuss with pride or show with pride but unless itā€™s something external that canā€™t be removed, I wouldnā€™t think of it that way. interesting discussion!

1 Like

Anybody else watching the crazy shit happening on Wall Street right now?

1 Like