The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

Can I PM you around the end of summer about oyster cloning?
@HAMZ

Of course!

Can I PM you around the end of summer about oyster cloning?

I bet thereā€™s more long-term planning and connection like this on this forum than other parts of the internet and I bet that means something

indeed there is. Itā€™s quite a neat packed community.

Iā€™ve tried some cheaper ones with mixed results. They are a cool technology, but also a matter of always putting on headphones or equivalent. A lot of people are in much worse condition than I am, I am fairly certain we have at least one person here with cochlear implants, but the future potential that implants like that promise can help a lot of people.

When I was in school, programmable calculators were just starting to be a thing and we could store entire notes in a program file.

1 Like

Hell, when I took the SAT, I didnā€™t need to prove that I had wiped my calculator. In fact, I didnā€™t need to prove it for any test save one (and the way they had us wipe them didnā€™t wipe anything I had sideloaded in from my computer). I never took advantage of the fact, of course, but found the possibility funny nonetheless.

1 Like

an object at rest cannot be stopped!

2 Likes

Somebody has been watching the Tick

3 Likes

spoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon

2 Likes

I think when we get there what will need an update is the whole concept of schooling.

Whatever the models we follow are outdated by a whole frigging century already!

Schools should teach you to think. To understand what goes around you. Practical skills we take for grantedā€¦ For none of that ā€œcheating on testsā€ would be an issue. (the whole concept of tests might be a bigger issue here).

Cheating is only an ā€œissueā€ because schools still try to teach you to memorise tables and formulas, mostly around the world still with the sole purpose of getting you to be admitted into an university. And nothing elseā€¦ :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

And we all know university graduates have been properly and completely prepared for the world. Itā€™s not like the sum of human knowledge and cat memes exists at your fingertips most of the day and night.

3 Likes

And that is exactly why I mostly hire out of anywhere but universities, for Tech roles.

Most often than not folks coming from random backgrounds are much better as developers just because they actually bother doing stuff and learning on their free time, whilst Universities seem to embed on the students the notion that just by paying the uni you will magically gain all the knowledge needed. And sometimes they add in a good serving of bad practices and hubris on the side as well.
:slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

My Uni did right by me, but only because I made the most out of it and learned whatever peripheral things I could to flesh out the curriculum.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the attitude that the modern school system attempts to weed out of students.
Glad to hear you managed to keep unmoved.

3 Likes

7 Likes

I donā€™t pretend to be an expert, but I donā€™t think thereā€™s a cabal of anti-intellectual college admins across the world trying to undermine public education. Itā€™s a whole ecosystem of factors from job demands in the market to the economics of education and how itā€™s not being supported by enough governments. Your and my perception of the issues are definitely not the whole story, so Iā€™m not ready to blame the schools or their staff. Who else then is there, Society? Iā€™m not satisfied blaming nonedescript ā€œtheyā€. Itā€™s us, and the legislators that we elect, and some moneyed interests that we allow to persist, that are causing college students to enter the workforce unprepared.

1 Like

I would never expect such a huge level of competenceā€¦ :sweat_smile:

Alsoā€¦ I donā€™t see private education as making a difference at all, on university level and above. (if much, in many countries public unis are still far better than private ones)

Itā€™s pure capitalistic causality:

• An adminā€™s role is to generate profit

• Profit is a difference between how much you spend and how much you gain.

• The difference between spending the very least and the minimum they get paid is much higher than the difference between spending a lot and then charging higher.

Then you get to factor in government interference (or lack of thereof).
The more ignorant a population is, the easier it is to maneuver them and gain votes to keep you in power.

More than thatā€¦ Both Media and our modern societyā€™s immediatist mindset makes it so that there is no incentive for any government to invest in education.

Think that you just got elected.

• You have a limited amount of resources and people demanding things to be done.

• You decide to invest a lot in educationā€¦ which means you have not invested on other things which people are demanding.

• Education investments take a good decade to yield returnsā€¦

• You just made it so that your popularity goes down in a couple years from now, when no one talks about your investment anymore, but everyone complains about all the areas you sacrificed for it.

• 10 years from now, your opposing party is in power (thatā€™s the trend we see worldwide), and they reap the benefits of your investment, together with being able to use their resources to fix the things you sacrificed for to achieve itā€¦ Both skyrocketing their approvals while at the same time having no reason to keep investing in education.

In Europe I see that happening a lot less than in Brazil, but it still does happen.

I just canā€™t believe any government system which cycles rulers faster than a decade or two having enough incentives to invest in education, apart from after war (where the circumstances around the rulers would make them think ahead at the same time that nationalist mood would compensate for the diverted investment falacy)

1 Like

Personally, having been through one or two university level classes I see three types of university lecturers.

1. those that are interested in their subject and can pass their passion and knowledge on. They tend to ask questions in exams which require critical thinking as well as an understanding.

2. those that are trying to pass their knowledge on but donā€™t have the passion. They tend to ask questions which show an understanding of the subject.

3. those that are teaching the subject so that you pass the exam. They tend to ask questions where you get marks for regurgitating their words back at them.

I like 1, and I can put up with 2. I really dislike 3 as I try and understand the subject so I am not just regurgitating the course notes.

In my experience there are two types of students, the ones that want to understand (and learn) and those that want to pass the course and donā€™t care about understanding. They will learn by rote, but donā€™t necessarily understand what they have learned.

I totally agree there.

I would even extend and say that these are not necessarily ā€œtypesā€ of lecturers as much as they are ā€œstatesā€ of lecturers.

Working within Universities (my main career before tipping full on into dev) for almost a decade, Iā€™ve seen a lot of lecturers fluctuate between all these stages. :slightly_frowning_face:

Totally agree there as well!

My core point is that the good students, even if denied access to universities, will still end up better than the bad students who go through uni.

(In some cases Iā€™ve also seen ā€œgoodā€ students shift into ā€œbadā€ ones because of uni environment)

Iā€™m kinda one of those, though it wasnā€™t just uni :man_shrugging: (mental health sucks). Some parts of uni I donā€™t mind. If you only use uni for courses, and nothing else then yeah, itā€™s very hard to see the point. But Iā€™ve loved the opportunities, the clubs, the events, the things which surround / are centered around uni but arenā€™t just traditional courses. You get to make connections, have experiences you otherwise wouldnā€™t have.

Obviously remote uni / pandemic affects all of that, Iā€™m fortunate to live somewhere that life is basically back to normal most of the time apart from some contact tracing measures.

3 Likes