The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

@Hamspiced

Pretty sweetā€¦

we have a @NixieGeek

and also, have you seen @StarGate01 steampunk cosplay

Teaser ( Thereā€™s more to it, and worth checking out )

Link (to link)

1 Like

This was a really really fun kit of a project I picked up a few years ago. It was about 90$ with the tubes on ebay. Shipped from Ukraine, the instructions were even in Russian/Ukrainian?. But the project was seriously a lot of fun and easily worth double that for the joy of having one of these.

Since built I threw it in that little wooden box I picked up from the craft store and stained it, also switched it from USB micro to USB-C

They also have the other version as well with the IN-12 tubes

If you have a soldering iron you can build these. Itā€™s all through hole components so nothing complex. Highly recommend

2 Likes

Quick sanity check. The Northstar implant was just a hall effect activated LED thing right? Iā€™m seeing mention of it being a compass on here but not in any articles Iā€™ve seen

It actually had a compass chip built in similar to the kind your phone uses. It would buzz and light up when the front face of it was facing north? I think thatā€™s how the UI worked anyway.

Iā€™m not sure what chip was in it but hereā€™s an example.

HMC5843.pdf (609.4 KB)

So basically yes, a hall effect sensor but one hell of a sensitive one

2 Likes

I actually have a 6 tube nixie clock I need to build, itā€™s been in the box since I received it like 5 years ago :sweat_smile:

I was under the impression I was only given the tubes themselves, and still needed to source a boardā€¦ so it sat while I got lost trying to find the right board

A month or 6 ago I happened to take a peek inside and Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ve had a board the whole time :sweat_smile::roll_eyes:

Will be a nice project to break in my pinecil when it gets here

6 Likes

Super fun project. Be careful with the tails that come off the tube theyā€™re brittle

I was initially thinking about having a carpenter friend help me with the wood, not a material I work with or have the tools for

But then I started thinking about clear resin 3D printing somethingā€¦ for that 90s translucent look that I am stoked to see coming back

2 Likes

This is one awesome cosplay and I wouldnā€™t like to take it off if I had oneā€¦

https://twitter.com/ferio2/status/1702329055880876046

3 Likes

Interestingā€¦

3 Likes

Picked up some new contact lenses.

8 Likes

Was watching a random YouTube video and wouldnā€™t ya know it, guy has a magnet implant. Small world.

7 Likes

The whole breaks my brain, is it photoshoped or just a portal to another dimension?

That immediately made me think of The dark den on YouTube. Do you have any tarantulas?

2 Likes

I donā€™t but I do use them as feeders.

I have a crested gecko and three Australian green tree frogs. :smile:

1 Like

I have two bottles of clear resin I havenā€™t been brave enough to use yet, I hear clear resin doesnā€™t play nice.

If you think to, I wouldnā€™t mind hearing back on how you had to adjust the settings, if at all vs standard grey. If I beat you to it I can return the favor.

I havenā€™t had any issues actually printing with it
Itā€™s more or less the same printability

Getting it to be properly clear is another thing, it likes to yellow from uvā€¦ which sure is good that you donā€™t need uv in the process
You can minimize and alter how you long you expose and cure it to get less yellowing, along with different brands

You also get a kind of frosted surface, from surface texture, voxelation, etc etcā€¦ you can recoat the part after the fact with more resin or clear coat or a bunch of various other stuff that matches the refraction something something about the material

Look up on YouTube tape onto frosted glass, itā€™s the same time

1 Like

Hey @Pilgrimsmaster, I accidentally posted a picture of a DT box in the 3D printing thread, would you be able to transfer it here? Iā€™m sorry, I promise I wonā€™t rush to post while Iā€™m a drive through again!

1 Like

Anybody good at PHP and PHPStorm that can do a single simple postback page for me? I want to learn how to do more involved PHP work than the simple little API pages Iā€™ve been making. Would totally be ok making this a paid ā€œtutoringā€ type thing.

edit; actually it doesnā€™t have to be phpstormā€¦ just some kind of ide or environment that helps facilitate quick easy project creation and management.

Thanks for the inf.

Iā€™m planning to print semi-clear panels for a cyberpunk-esque desk lamp, so yellowing could actually end up playing into the look.

2 Likes

I can get you in touch with one of my devs.

2 Likes

yusssā€¦ DM me?