The flexMN batch is now open!

It’d be surprising if the LED was wired in series, as it would clip half the signal (it’s a diode} and halve the power available to the chip.

Yea probably a bad idea to consider,
Was just thinking about it being reinforced with the new reinforcing goop

I don’t think it’s wired in series directly either, more that the chip acts sort of like a power supply to the led, I think the led is only indirectly powered from the main coil through the chip

Ah yes, maybe if it was doused in epoxy…

That’s not the case. I asked Amal when the xSIID came out if memory serves.

EDIT: actually you’re right:

I eat my words :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, like I said, I’m not completely certain

To me, Dsruptive’s site certain makes it sound that way though

“Energy Harvesting:
Reuses the energy from any NFC reader to activate components or sensors connected to the DSruptive board”

1 Like

This information is on the forum already.

The xLEDs use a coil hooked up directly to an LED and uses the natural capacitance of the LED to form the tank circuit. That’s why the xLED options are so limited, each LED requires a custom coil that involves a lot of trial and error.

The NTAG I2C Plus chip (in the xSIID and on the test card) receives power from the field like a normal transponder and regulates it down to a constant 15mA at 3.1V output.

2 Likes

I would be interested in this

2 Likes

fixed thx

In theory yes… this is how some of those NFC Nail things with both NTAG213 and LED work… they have some passives and the chip and the LED to make it all work. It could be possible to make such a thing, and we may focus on that being an idea in 2021 for the Spark 2, Apex Max, and Apex Flex… just at a later time.

The concern I have is that those configurations tend to impact performance. For the Apex Flex it probably won’t be a big deal, but for the Max and Spark 2 it could be. We attempted this once with a version of the Spark 1 and the results were… unimpressive.

@Aoxhwjfoavdlhsvfpzha @Eriequiet this is already an option as a custom order… the flexNAIL??? (idk what it’s called). It’s a single NFC LED nail, potentially with resin (ordinary or with glow powder on top) encased in Amal’s magic goo.

From Some custom flex work, there are many more pictures in that thread.

Sorry for the derail everyone!

I think what we are both imagining is a flex wedge, with a Hf coil to one led, and a lf coil to a second different colored led (possibly on either ends of the wedge)

2 Likes

Ahhh, fair enough, afaik LF flat antennas are hard / too big :frowning:

1 Like

I know the flex em is physically hard if that’s what you mean, but pretty sure there because it’s a prefab t5577 disc, with the little reinforced plate

But you probably have a point Amal probably wouldn’t want to custom wind a lf for that,

Also there’s a bit of a function question,
The diagnostic card points an led at you when you scan it, a diagnostic flex would point leds at the reader which would be kinda awkward to see

What @DonFire (7) said :arrow_heading_up:

Hard as in difficult

Thick or long or wide would be your options :wink:

Lower the freq, longer the antenna

2 Likes

Doable? Unsound?

2 Likes

200 (1)

Being a text-based sort of a person who doesn’t speak gif very well, I’m never quite sure whether I posted something stupid, or I pissed you off, or something else whenever you do that :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Haha,
For what it is worth

to me that “reads” as a definite Hmmmmm, Interesting, that is worth considering, Let me think on that

2 Likes

Funny, the evil stare at the end of the gif turns the whole message into “Hmm, you’re quite a dumbass to be asking something like that ain’t ya?” to me :slight_smile: