3 Likes

The best post of 2020 so far :trophy:

4 Likes

I’m stealing this for a new thread.

3 Likes

Great Idea :+1:

1 Like
2 Likes

just fyi… this is an award that discourse keeps track of based on likes (i think that’s how it works anyway)… but yes I do like the idea of leveling admirations… and then some… I will think up a prize of some kind too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Back on topic.

Been messing with the homebrew setup for about 5 hours now and finally got it working. Sort of. I’d say the lag between action and video is in the 3-4 second range. This is WITH the paid version of DroidCamX, using USB.

Using wireless was just about as bad. Neither is usuable.

Things they don’t tell you up front. You must enable USB Debugging, and must download phone specific USB drivers to the PC being used.

I’m tempted to Amazon a proper webcam. Supply is coronavirus borked though.
Might just ditch the PC and record to phone. A bit awkwardish, but given the workarounds necessary to use a PC, maybe not that bad.

Anyways, I’m done fooling with it for tonight.

P.S. The perspective from the arm is really nice, will make for good videos, just laggy.

2 Likes

i used to be into all this stuff a long time ago… i had something for my windows box that would turn an IP cam stream into a video for windows A/V source (like a webcam)… how does (or does) DroidCamX have something for this or does it just turn your phone into an IP cam and you have to figure the rest out? I mean… the first couple lines on play store talk about using DroidCamX to do twitch / skype / etc. with your phone - which I assume they meant on your laptop or desktop… not just using the apps already on the mobile…

I really hate answering questions that I don’t have a firm grip on. Especially to someone who knows what they’re talking about. It’s kind of the better to be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and prove it, concept. Go easy on me.

It can be operated as an IP camera.

It can also be operated using a connection setup from the phone app to a dedicated program on the PC that causes it to act as a standard webcam.

So… Dual Mode, me thinks.

Tried to see if I could get a threaded attachment going for the arm, and succeeded in breaking it. I can fix, but it’ll be just as easy to finangle a 1/4-20 bolt in there. With that in mind, I went webcam shopping.

So. Much. Junk.

Have not found anything useable yet. Also looks like an industry move away from the 1/4-20 mount in the cheaper webcams.

1 Like

Anybody feel like recommending a webcam?

Needs…
USB connection.
Built in Mic.
Threaded mounting hole.
Autofocus with capability of being used in very short distances.

Wide angle is not needed.

Also, needs to be budget concious. Not necessarily cheap, just can’t break the bank right now. I dumped all my spare cash into a super nice multimeter, then two days later the tranny in my truck just up and quit.

You wouldn’t happen to have a DSLR* or Camcorder by any chance would you? Because even if it isn’t one that can act as a webcam directly a capture card should let you use that assuming it has video out.

* Anyone know the name for that style of camera, with interchangeable lenses etc? DSLR doesn’t really work as they have mirrorless ones too.

The issue with these types of cameras is unless you have one that specifically states it can be used for extended video recordings etc (At least on Canon DSLR’s you’re looking at $$$$) they’ll shut off after 5 mins or so as a protective measure, otherwise it can damage the sensor and/or overheat.

@ODaily - my experience with Logitech C910, C920, C925 and C930e have all been positive. Except the C930e lacks proper software. If you’re using OBS or something to record, you can bring up the webcam settings that way. They have mounting holes on the bottom too. Can probably find one 2nd hand for cheap?

If you find the focus isn’t close/far enough, you can carefully manually adjust the lens. Some tutorials on youtube for doing that.

2 Likes

That’s a good point. But still worth checking, people quite often don’t know it’s a potential option and a surprising number of people have reasonably high end cameras.

C920 looks doable. List price of 69.99, but I could probably swing that. Out of stock everywhere. Walmart has it. For 235.00

I think not.

All the WFH especially of people like teachers has completely sucked up the already limited supply I believe. So good luck :sweat_smile:

Check out NDI Cam, made by an actual pro network video company, was free on iOS, not sure on Android. Uses a custom protocol and gets pretty low latency. Doesn’t natively show as a webcam, but can be run into OBS

3 Likes

Nobody going to touch that one???
Oh, Ok… grumble grumble …bloody grown ups

1 Like

I had to reel myself in still too new to this place lol. But I mean if his tranny refuses to work what can he do. I do feel like keeping a tranny that won’t work in a truck is a little short sighted I mean if that tranny just sits there it’s not doing anyone any good. I say find someone willing to buy a hard used tranny and get a new one, I’m sure in this day in age he can get one on Amazon, the shipping from Thailand may take some time but hey I’m sure it’s worth it to have a working tranny again.

1 Like

You go touch as many trannys as you want.

2 Likes