xG3 v1 VS v2 finger sensing

Thanks, @mrln I appreciate you sharing your experiences. Edge also seems to have plenty of nerve endings… it’s just not as cool as a fingertip! Of course, losing sensation in a fingertip due to a bad install is least cool of all.

The toothpick mockup on the edge is totally fine. I’ll try the Titan mockup tomorrow.

I’ll be searching for a professional installer here in the Twin Cities and trying to find one to do a scalpel insert into a fingertip seems even more challenging than finding a pro would would do a needle insert into any location. So many factors to weigh!

1 Like

@Satur9 - THANK YOU SO MUCH for that great example. Despite your caveats, the laptop transformer is a great everyday test for measurement, and your 8mm measurement was informative. it was also great to see the two implants lying together with your hands for context. The Titan is a lot smaller than I expected, and the XG3 is longer than I expected, even with my mockups lying around. I could also see - barely - how it looked in your finger.

Thank you for your time. I really appreciate your video.

3 Likes

So I’ve been holding back from sharing this too much because I have sent a device to @amal and have been waiting for his input but since we’re on subject…

I’ve spent about a year solo and six months in a CNRS IT lab studying the stimulation of magnetic implants (sensitivity, haptic rendering etc…).

But long story short I came out of this with a couple ideas on dedicated devices to test (in a standardized and repeatable manner) magnetic implants and also make use of them for sensory substitution training and AR feedback. The hole project is called SMIS and I have teased it a bit on the discord. I have already made and distributed a couple of SMIS cubes and I’m making good progress on the app that goes with it but I’m still correcting some things and figuring out how to make them available.

The idea is first of all to make a convenient way for anyone to play and experiment with their magnet even without having diy skills. But as a side effect it also means we will be able to collect results from standardized tests with identical devices and compare them / do stats.
links:

5 Likes

Let me know if you want help designing for manufacturability. That’s what I do.

2 Likes

That’s exactly where I need help actually. I can deal with the app and I’ve made some prototypes at home but I’m a bit at a loss as to how to proceed next :thinking: I’ll pm you to avoid derailing this post, thanks!

2 Likes

I’m assuming xG3 v1 for the knife edge? I’m considering putting one there but am undecided on which version.

No problem mate

This thread might be worth a look see

1 Like

You mentioned V1 here

But here

Which one are you leaning towards? do you know the difference between the V1 and V2?

The V2 is Newer, but not “better”, just different.

Short version

V1 Sense
V2 Lift

Check out the forum post where we compare the lifting strength of v1 vs v2 – Lifting power of the xG3: v1 vs v2

This has some great examples

I assume you have read up on the product description

I maybe want to get a xG3 v2, but I’m not sure how safe it would be for me. Often times there are metal shavings at my workplace, which could get stuck to the magnet.
Does someone have a xG3 v2 and knows how easy it is to remove metal shavings and metal dust?

This was metal dust for kids to play with at a science center. It came off of my xG3 v1 and v2 easily with just a wipe. Metal shavings would be different because of the sharp edges. I’m not sure how that would go.

1 Like

i had sharp metal shavings on my magnets several times. its not that funny but not that bad. you can wipe them off, some will have cut themself in your skin already, then you have to use tweezers to get them out. that will take some time.

the ones that penetrated the skin and are really deep or small are really hard to impossible to remove. i decided to just let them grow in and let my body handle it…

2 Likes

That doesen’t sound that great but I could deal with that. Thanks for the helpful information.

2 Likes