The Titan and the TSA

I did some looking around here on the forum but (maybe it’s my keywords) I was unable to find anything similar to this. I see on the NExT product page/FAQ it mentions that people have flown with the chip without any problems, but I don’t see anyone talking about the Titan. I haven’t flown in over a decade and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this.

I have a flight coming up later this year, and though I don’t have my Titan yet, it is in the mail. I just want to know if I should wait it out or yolo it when it gets here (do the youth still say that?).

1 Like

Sounds like you’re not going to have any problems, they probably won’t set off their sensors, and if they do, you just have to let them know you have implants in your hands and maybe get a secondary test

6 Likes

Airport! That’s the keyword I missed! Thank you for your help, dangerous, dyslexic, friend!

2 Likes
  • He’s dangerous
  • He’s a friend

But he is not dyslexic; there is a method to his madness

7 Likes

I go through airport security often with my numerous implants including a Titan. They can’t detect them even if they’re trying. Most metal detectors don’t even ping when you rub your magnet finger on them.

4 Likes

For what it’s worth I’ve tried detecting biomagnets with actual ground metal detectors, the ones you use to find burried stuff and it doesn’t work either. Even on higher sensitivities with zero distance which is interesting because they can find a coin at a decent depth…

2 Likes

It depends on how they work. The most common ones use a comparator on current measurements of the input and output from the coil. If they don’t match, then some eddy currents must have been induced in a metal object in the field. Since a permanent magnet has a static field that is much stronger than the oscillating field from a detector, none of the detector field actually makes it to the magnet core to induce eddy currents.

More advanced detectors use impedance matching, and under certain conditions when you rapidly move a permanent magnet into the field they can briefly detect it. The powerful field of the magnet can affect the detector coil and change the inductance value, which changes the impedance. It’s only brief though.

6 Likes

That was very instructive. I never got to research why, now I know :mechanical_arm:

3 Likes

Oh wow that’s really cool! Reminds me those animations of how the earth’s magnetic field deflects solar flares.

2 Likes

I always feel compelled to point out there is a difference between the new scanners and old school metal detectors. The new scanners do not have any kind of metal detecting capabilities whatsoever. They basically bounce radar off your skin to look through your clothes for objects… but it doesn’t penetrate your skin very deeply at all, and what does penetrate loses a lot of power doing so.

Metal detectors work entirely differently, as explained by @Satur9

9 Likes

Oh interesting. So they basically make sure we’re people-shaped underneath our clothes?

They basically bounce radar off your skin to look through your clothes for objects…

Don’t mind me, it’s late and I’m blind :melting_face:

2 Likes

Yep

And last I knew there’s actually a whole issue with what “people shaped” means

Trans and other individuals can fall outside of what’s “supposed to be there”

I’d heard that computers where flagging characteristics based on 2 gender stereotypes

Hypothetically an individual appearing to be female steps into the scanner, so the person behind the screen sees an individual with breasts and a mass between their legs

Do they ignore it? Because boom… now we can just smuggle stuff between our legs… said no criminal ever

Do they pat down / give all trans individuals extra scrutiny? Because that’s not cool

Do they request people who are trans disclose or out themselves to tsa? That’s not cool

Been a bit, maybe they’ve updated computers since or given screeners guidance

But it’s a hurdle, that I do understand is not a super simple one to tackle

official blurb from tsa.gov

The AIT Screening Process:

Currently, TSA’s AIT units utilize software that relies on gender-specific algorithms and a generic physical outline of the human body that is identical for all passengers. When you enter the imaging portal, the TSA officer will press a button designating your gender as male or female based on the TSA officer’s assessment of how you present. The equipment then conducts a scan and indicates areas on the body warranting further screening, if necessary.

If there is an alarm, a TSA officer may show you, on a screen, where the alarm is present. Additional screening, including a pat-down procedure, may be conducted to determine whether a prohibited item is present.

AIT Technology Enhancements and Updated Screening Procedures:

TSA identified an opportunity to enhance our existing AIT security effectiveness capabilities and simultaneously implement a gender-neutral algorithm. In coordination with the system manufacturer, TSA is in the process of testing this new algorithm. This change will benefit all travelers, including transgender, nonbinary, and other gender-nonconforming travelers who previously have been required to undergo additional screening due to alarms in sensitive areas. Upon completion of successful testing, TSA anticipates initiating deployment of the technology enhancement to airports later this year.

Beginning in May 2022, TSA is also updating its screening procedures to better serve transgender, nonbinary, and gender-nonconforming travelers through less invasive screening procedures for passengers who trigger the AIT scanner in a sensitive area. This change will reduce the number of pat downs for TSOs and the travelling public without compromising security, and will be in effect until the gender-neutral AIT screening technology is deployed.

You may ask for a supervisor at any point during the AIT screening process.

….

2 Likes

So how do they deal with overweight people where thing can be hidden under folds of fat?
Even physical search is not gonna help unless you lift and pat under every one of those places. I wouldn’t want someone to do that to me.

From what I understand from mates in border security, they see everything and the gender descriptor you give is simply limiting the gender of the person who looks at your scan…

Similar loose connections, and they’d said there where actual issues… system actually threw alerts if your anatomy didn’t match presumed gender identity

The above blurb I linked from tsa admits “enough” to back up that they were clearly having system issues of some sort

1 Like

Yeah sorry I didn’t clarify. The millimeter wave scanners and backscatter x-ray can’t see through tissue with any definition so it’s kind of a moot point from that perspective.

Heh that feels only mildly violating :melting_face:

I guess at least they see so many people that it’s all a blur, at least I’d hope none of the scans get saved anywhere…

I have no problems with metal detectors. Idk why they don’t detect it though… this app on my phone does… it’s called magnetometer

I’ve read that the compass app on the iphone just uses a hall effect sensor, which is magnetic, so if the magnetometer app you linked also uses the hall effect sensor then it would make sense that it can detect the magnetic field.

I think the explanations above explain the metal detectors:

- Old sensors don’t have strong enough magnetic fields to penetrate the Titan’s magnetic field; or
- New sensors just use radar so they don’t see through your skin enough, they just see your junk

1 Like

A magnetometer is not the same as a metal detector.

A magnetometer is essentially a Hall sensor and is mainly used as a compass on mobiles. Some apps pretend it’s a metal detector but it’s really not (kinda).
The hall sensor measures the direction and strength of the ambient magnetic field.
It’s also used in conjunction with a permanent magnet to keep track of rpm or position in mechanical systems.

Conventional metal detectors will produce a field and look for disturbances or something like that:

2 Likes